Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

X or Rubicon - Which model JK to start with for a solid build

Old 12-22-2009, 06:24 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPop
Automatic transmission only.
Lame
Old 12-22-2009, 09:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After 27 months of ownership I have still not got around to the tire/suspension/gear mods but can put it off until next year because the basic Rubicon package is pretty capable. So for me the Rubi was the right choice.

I had planned the above mods sooner, but after driving it around for a year or so I modded what was bugging me the most, which set my tire/lift/regear mod back a bit.

I do not want to start the next steps until I have the money saved up to do it all as a system.

If you have the cash to do all your mods right away, then I would buy the X and mod it. But I would want to do the whole package all at once to make it right.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Junkie

He could save 2k+ going with the X if he just bought a used rubicon t-case from a junkyard.

Oh, and from what I have read, the rubicrawler box from Adv Adt. ONLY works with the rubicon t-case.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuka
He could save 2k+ going with the X if he just bought a used rubicon t-case from a junkyard.

Oh, and from what I have read, the rubicrawler box from Adv Adt. ONLY works with the rubicon t-case.
naw, should work for a X as well from what I've read. I'm thinking about getting one after I regear.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:21 AM
JK Freak

I've got two 4 dr rubi's. One has a 3" lift, Warn bumpers, Warn Power Plant. Still has the 33's. I've run it hard in Moab and on CO trails like Holy Cross. No problem, never been broken. This is a good build on a Rubi. The Rubi Dana 44's, transfer case, sway bars, and lockers are all good.

It happens I've got the big build bug--building it more extreme rock crawling. So, after starting with a Rubi, by the end of the 1Q of 10, I won't have anything left of the Rubi package. (i'm going to get Dana 60's, and am going to go with 40+ tires). If I had known I was going to get the big build bug I wouldn't have bought a Rubi.

The Rubi with a modest lift is awesome in capability--it can handle city or trough trails.

The Rubi with the big lift, new engine, new axles, new sway, etc isn't a Rubi anymore anyway. It is, however, way awesome on big rocks.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

WOW!!!! I DONT KNOW IF YOUR BUYING A 2010 OR ARE JUST GETTING JACKED, but when I purchased my rig it was a brand new bone stock 08 X and only had a auto tranny, no power anything, crappy tiny wheels, and no A\C but i only payed $19000 flat!!!! i dont know how after 2 years a base model X jumped up to $27K??????

Last edited by JEEPSHANE; 12-30-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Or you could build a Time machine out of a Deloran, go back to 2007 when the JK was first introduced and see if you could find a two door X model with the Dana 44 with the 4.10 gears. I saw mine at the dealership an jumped on it once I knew it hat that ratio in the rear.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:49 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by JEEPSHANE
WOW!!!! I DONT KNOW IF YOUR BUYING A 2010 OR ARE JUST GETTING JACKED, but when I purchased my rig it was a brand new bone stock 08 X and only had a auto tranny, no power anything, crappy tiny wheels, and no A\C but i only payed $19000 flat!!!! i dont know how after 2 years a base model X jumped up to $27K??????
From the original post: "Other than the list prices from Jeep, do those prices look reasonable?"

I used suggested retail for comparison purposes.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RDY4RKS
I started with an X to keep the initial costs down, knowing at some point I would be upgrading or out right replacing certain parts.

If I were to do it again I would start with a 2wd to get the initial costs even lower. If you are replacing a t-case and front axle about the only other major cost to convert would be a front drive shaft. Which if you started with a 4wd you would most likely replace when you lift it anyway.
rdy4rks is right...go with the 2wd and keep cost down alot...buy used and put 10000 into and make it much better than rub.

Quick Reply: X or Rubicon - Which model JK to start with for a solid build