Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Wrangler roll cage info needed ?

Old 08-22-2009, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrangler roll cage info needed ?

Wouldn't it be better to have the wrangler roll cage on the out side of its top and welded to its frame , with enough room for removing or adding its hard/soft top ,
the cage could be builded stronger , you then could easily add racks, hang you side mirrors from the top down keeping them off your doors , you would have less damage from roll overs , you could use the out side cage as an base to run bars to your front bumper for added protection , it also could help support your spare tire bracket in the the rear . Depending on this cages design , could it be a winner and set a benchmark for others to follow. Or not ; Guys what your opinions ,on costs and use ?

Note: input to-be posted to Cab's
Old 08-22-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Freak

Exo cages protect the body more but imo look ugly on wranglers. Functionally speaking it's not as strong as an internal cage either cause theirs no cross bar behind the driver seat protecting the cage from folding in on itself. I think it would be better to have an internal cage and a roof rack if you need the extra storage. If you look at designs of race cages for any vehicle there is always a cross bar behind the driver seat. Good idea tho...and always just my opinion.

Last edited by jkJason; 08-22-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you add the cross bars with one behind the drivers head to support the roof rack, what then ?

Last edited by slow2run; 08-22-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

exocages are an eyesore on wranglers. no way the "general" public would buy vehicles with one. not a bad idea for guys who run rocks, and rocks only

but hey on a yota these things look great!
Old 08-22-2009, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by slow2run
If you add the cross bars with one behind the drivers head to support the roof rack, what then ?
How so? Like through the roof?
Old 08-22-2009, 03:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Roll and exo cages are for general purpose protection. Off road is entirely different than on road. EXO cages get in the way of body repairs. Some piping has to go through the body and so you can have water leaking, noise, and corrosion problems.

You must decide what YOU want, if you want EXO cage then your resale value goes down for street vehicls. Do what you want, feel that you need and don't bother trying to make money off it unless you want to start an EXO cage business.

To give you and idea about its weakenesses, a buddy built a really nice cage, looked super tough and strong. He rolled over and a boulder went between the rails and killed him. You want safe? Keep out of the bathroom where most accidents happen.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:08 PM
JK Freak

I think an accident at freeway speeds with a cage designed for crawlin is wayy more of a threat than a rollover crawlin in a cage designed for high speed/racing
Old 08-22-2009, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

jkjason, well i was thinking that the front down bar of the cage would run vertical just in front of the wind shield staying outside the jeeps body skin , to it hit the jeeps frame or welded bar attached to the frame that comes out to meet it and secured to it . The same for the rear, but also attached to the bumper as well as the jeep frame .
jkjason i drove a land mine proofed land rover in Africa that had the same type of cage, but the front down bars were welded to steel plates in the back of the wheel wales , that helped make it mine proof, no doors , 10% water in its tires and a 4 way harness and fiberglass top. In 1977 I hit a Russian TM 47 tank mine that had 18LB of TNT in it , when driving this type of Govt issue land rover, and went up 29 ft and forward around 100 or more ft ,
(forward distance depends on you vehicle speed )
When the rover stopped rolling , i crawled out think that I had just had flat tire ,
Now my point is, that it was this type of EXO cage that kept me a live and in one piece . Note: Our Govt chose this cage because it just welded on and was low cost to build and the steel was available. I drove over 100,000 K in these type vehicle in African bush, so this type of Cage is safe and if designed to look good, it should look good .

Last edited by slow2run; 08-22-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

Wow thats crazy man, sounds like an experience.. however it sounds like were talking about two entirely different beasts. When I go to build a cage for my jeep its going to be designed not to collapse in on itself at high speeds. Thats completely different than what your describing. Exo cages tied into the frame can be very safe, yes. I'm just posting my opinion on what I think the ideal set up is for me, the design that gives maximum occupant protection from high speed accidents and offroad flops.. not landmines lol. Anyways please don't take any offense I was merely trying to say what I think.

Last edited by jkJason; 08-22-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what you're talking about. In my opinion, it's pointless on a wrangler, and looks especially stupid on a four-door. Again, that's my opinion and this is a bad-ass jeep with ton's of time and money into... just not my style.

But if this is what you want, here's a picture to give you some ideas...

Quick Reply: Wrangler roll cage info needed ?