Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Woods Evap Canister Relocation Kit

Old 01-05-2008, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default relocation versus skid plate

How valid is the theory that the EC may be the cause of these JK fires we are hearing about? It seems obvious to me that the advantage of relocation over the skid plate is that it reduces the fire risk (if there really is one from the EC). Am I correct in this assumption? Will relocation completely reduce any fire risk from the EC?
Old 01-05-2008, 08:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by uofawildcats
How valid is the theory that the EC may be the cause of these JK fires we are hearing about? It seems obvious to me that the advantage of relocation over the skid plate is that it reduces the fire risk (if there really is one from the EC). Am I correct in this assumption? Will relocation completely reduce any fire risk from the EC?
I haven't seen one single shred of evidence that the Evap Canister actually caused a fire (short of maybe one or two where the EC was ripped from the vehicle). There's a ton of speculation, but does anyone have a fire marshal report indicting the EC?
Old 01-05-2008, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had no fire when I ripped mine off, I even drove around for a week until I could get it fixed.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default Wood's Kit installed

Just finished installing the Wood's Kit. Pretty straight forward. Good instructions. One hose needed to be longer but I had some of the same stock around so I made one. All in all I'm pleased.
Thanks Brett
Old 01-05-2008, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Puddlz
If you've had your JK out on the trails USING it to the full potential you would notice that the location of the stock unit is very volnerable to damage to the unit, the EVAP CANISTER RELOCATION kit WOODS provides gets the unit completely above any area where rock rash or damage may happen, GET YOUR Jeep then you will see the advantage of this unit prior to any negativity.
I wasn't reading any "negativity" into that post. One of the benefits of moving the canister over a skid would be to reduce fire risks, if those risks are real. The poster was simply asking whether this seemed like a real risk. For what it's worth I also haven't seen any evidence that the evap canister is leading to fires. It definitely sticks out a little and is somewhat vulnerable to trail damage (there have been many accounts of them ripped off on the trail) so moving the canister or a skid would be good to ensure it isn't damaged. Another advantage of moving it (vs. the skid) is that you don't add the weight of an additional skid to the Jeep.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:06 PM
JK Newbie

Hey this looks like a great kit.

It's February where is it and how do I get one?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Zulu1
Hey this looks like a great kit.

It's February where is it and how do I get one?
Contact Woods directly.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

Why not just put a skid plate? Wouldn't that be less expensive?
Old 02-21-2008, 08:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep329
Why not just put a skid plate? Wouldn't that be less expensive?
I would rather have the additional clearance by relocating it to a safe spot then to add another skid that hangs down and ads more weight.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:40 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	Do the math.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	6390

Originally Posted by Puddlz
Rock Hard evap skid $99.00 + freight, woods relocation kit under $80.00 shipped, do the math.

Easy now... No need to be patronizing or mean...I know math just fine thanks. Not everyone needs to go to rock hard for their skids... I can fab one for half that price (less actually) and I'm sure that there are more than just one manufacturer. I was only asking a question. Clackey's answer was more along the lines of what I was looking for...

Quick Reply: Woods Evap Canister Relocation Kit