Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Why not a 4.7L V8 PowerTech?

Old 05-28-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not a 4.7L V8 PowerTech?

I know a HEMI would be great, but why not swap in a 4.7L V8 (powertech)? There should be plenty more of these available with them being around in WJ's for 10 years now.

A run of the mill 4.7L V8 specs at 235hp and 295lb-ft torque, or maybe the H.O. option which specs at 265hp and 325lb-ft torque.

It might not be that much more horsepower than the 3.8L (+25hp), but the torque gains are significant (+45lb-ft).

Anyone ever think about doing this? Pros/cons?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because it doesn't fit as well in the engine bay. I'd rather have a 4.7l than the 5.7l as well...

It would be a big increase in power btw. My '04 4.7l WJ was very quick for a SUV. It was actually kind of fun to drive. Especially, at stop light in the rain playing with the AWD.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:04 PM
JK Super Freak

My thoughts as well....waiting to see what this thread brings
Old 05-28-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thissideup
My thoughts as well....waiting to see what this thread brings
It won't bring up much this is an old discussion. I've asked the same question several times. The Hemi hornied people are just in love with the monster. I like a plain simple small V8. But there is just no aftermarket support for the 4.7L Only the Hemi....
Old 05-29-2009, 05:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much the aftermarket support isn't there for the 4.7. I liked the one in my WJ, but it doesn't fit as well in the engine bay as the Hemi (I think it had something to do with the shape of the oil pan) and also the wiring harness has to be hand made by the installer. The Hemi has so much aftermarket support that there really isn't any custom fabrication or wiring needed.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:18 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ccdjeep
It won't bring up much this is an old discussion. I've asked the same question several times. The Hemi hornied people are just in love with the monster. I like a plain simple small V8. But there is just no aftermarket support for the 4.7L Only the Hemi....
Have you ever put them to the test? I have a WK with a 5.7l and my inlaws down the street (I know, its bad) have an XK with the 4.8. I drive them both regularly and on some occasions back to back when shuttling or errands or whatnot. The 4.8 sounds great and does have some nice power, but my WK with the HEMI blows it out of the water. Pound for pound the HEMI is better, no question.

Before you shrug off everyone as fanboys, you might want to take a test drive and add some weight to your arguement.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RuBob
If the 4.7 and the Hemi were both offered as factory options, I'd go with the 4.7. It's all I need and would be much more tolerable than the 3.8. However, if I was going to spend the money aftermarket, it'd have to be the Hemi.
I would agree. I had a Durango with the 4.7L and a Ram with the 5.7 Hemi. The 4.7 ran awesome, and I would LOVE to have it as a factory option on the JK.

But...if you're going to go to all the trouble of replacing the 3.8, GO BIG!!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 05:48 PM
JK Super Freak

The 4.7l is so smooth and it sounds amazing with a CAI. Better than the 5.7l IMO. Plus, the gearing in the 545RFE with 3.73 gears is perfect for it.

My WJ got great gas mileage too. It consistently got 22 MPG on the hwy with the A/C on and the cruise set at 80. I realize that it wouldn't do as well in the Rubicon given the extra weight, 32s, and worse aerodynamics but it couldn't do any worse than my JK does on the hwy. My freakin 5400 lb Silverado got better hwy gas mileage than my JK does. Plus, with 3.73s it wouldn't be turning as high of RPM at hwy speeds.

Last edited by Atl JK; 05-29-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Super Freak

I think it would have been smart to offer the 4.7L from the factory, but as a modification there is just not much of a market for it seeing as it only runs $1-2000 less than the 5.7 L swap (professionally done)...there is also the nice fact that when you get a 5.7L, let's say you get bored with it ( not seeing how) there is plenty of aftermarket support so you can put the 6.1 L insides in it and see 400-500 hp ...I may have a bias opinion but I haven't come across any 4.7 L that sound as good as my 5.7 L Hemi ...she's pretty smooth too
Old 06-04-2009, 05:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by x No Compromise Offroad x
I think it would have been smart to offer the 4.7L from the factory, but as a modification there is just not much of a market for it seeing as it only runs $1-2000 less than the 5.7 L swap (professionally done)...
Actually when the JK first came out and Dan at Burnsville Offroad was doing most of his own wiring harnesses the 4.7 swap he was doing was about $6,000 more than the 5.7 Hemi swap (I think it was the same price as a 6.1 Hemi swap).

Quick Reply: Why not a 4.7L V8 PowerTech?