Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

This is why I need a lift!

Old 03-07-2011, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by h1ker
X2 center your load I haul a 16ft trailer with 4 full size 4wheelers or my boys CJ-5 with no sag
Is that a converted boat trailer? The wheels are further back on Boat trailers because the much of the weight is usually hanging off the back of the trailer (engine).
Old 03-07-2011, 05:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by abailey
It wasn't the tounge weight that dropped it at all. It was when we put the two 100lb propane tanks in the back of the Jeep that sent it down!
Propane tanks in the trailer would make more sense. Hope no one smokes.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

It was my wife's uncle's trailer. All I know is that he went double axle for a better ride and less issues if a tire blew. It rained most of the weekend which made riding a bit more interesting. Crossing the lake yesterday was a bit wild with 6 inches of water on top of the ice and snow. Rain for two days and now they are expecting 12"-20" up there today.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Notakar
Is that a converted boat trailer? The wheels are further back on Boat trailers because the much of the weight is usually hanging off the back of the trailer (engine).
I haul my boat and have no issues with the tounge weight, just the total weight of the boat and vehicle itself. That 6 banger sucks balls trying to pull the boat sometimes, thank God for Superchips programmers!

Last edited by 4whelin; 03-07-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 4whelin
I haul my boat and have no issues with the tounge weight, just the total weight of the boat and vehicle itself. That 6 banger sucks balls trying to pull the boat sometimes, thank God for Superchips programmers!
Yea - the OP appears to have most of his weight in front of the wheels. Most boats have more weight to the rear, namely the engines, so the center of gravity is slightly in front of the wheels. If you put two snowmobiles in front of the wheels and little or nothing behind the wheels, you will have too much tongue weight.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:38 AM
JK Super Freak

I guess I need to clarify again that it was not the tounge weight of the trailer. The sleds were over the wheels (tough to see in the pic). The issue as I mentioned before was when the 2 100lb gas tanks were thrown in the back of the Jeep.
Was it too much weight in my Jeep? Yup! I posted this as a funny to try to justify in my little pea brain getting a lift!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have towed trailers for years, from 12ft to 50ft offshore boats, usualy had the right vehicle but not always.

i have found that on a small trailer a single axle tows the best, only issue is centering the weight, if a road is bad like our michigan roads the tandem trailer will push up and down on your hitch causing nausia like some one jumping up and down on the rear.

when the front two tires hit the bump and then the rears hit it loads and unloads the toung weight, also try pushing a tandum trailer by hand.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by abailey
I finally got to take a trip to Northern Maine for a weekend of snowmobiling. Thought I would take a pic of the JK on the way up and to show why I need a lift. She was a bit freighted with the double axle trailer with two sleds, but I think the two 100lb propane tanks in the back with the rest of the gear almost did it in!

Oh yeah, you know you may be in Northern Maine when the store behind the Jeep sells...........
That's a lot of sag! My 3500 pound boat doesn't even cause my jeep to sag that much. Sure you got that thing balanced properly with a 60/40 split?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why would you need 2 100 lbs propane tanks? Thats a hell of a lot of BBQ if you ask me.

Last edited by f3arn0FJ; 03-10-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: me sleepy
Old 03-11-2011, 04:50 AM
JK Super Freak

We were heading into camp for the weekend. The camp runs on a generator for lights and propane for everything else including heat. No we didn't need both for one weekend, but the propane guy had them both ready for us to take in!

Quick Reply: This is why I need a lift!