Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Why I carry a fire extinguisher?

Old 03-30-2008, 07:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowjeeper85
I was on my way downtown once when i saw some burning ashes on the road, turns out a guy in a minivan hit a matress, it got caught below the van, and caught fire. he finally pulled over when he smelled something burning. I pulled in front of him, jumped out, grabbed the extinguisher and put out the fire... the scene was actually quite the adrenaline rush. Dad reaching into the flames while screaming at mom to get the kids out of the back, the kids screaming for dear life cuz they have no idea what the hell is going on.... an in runs me to save the day They were very greatful, i helped then get the mattress out from under the van, and off we went. and ever since i ALWAYS carry one in the jeep.
how do you run over a mattress and not know it?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they must be from Toledo !!! haha sorry, seen the northern ohio and was wondering!
Old 03-30-2008, 08:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Tall dry grass catches fire easily from hot exhaust, leaky carbs like the man said, dropped cigs, overheated brakes, electrical fires, fuel leaks, camping stove caught on fire, you name it, anything can happen and will. These are just some of the things that happened to my friends or me that I used an extinguisher for.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:42 PM
JK Junkie

Just out of curiosity, why place the fire extinguisher in the back where it can be very difficult to grab in a hurry, especially if the top is up? I have one next to each of the front seats, so they can be grabbed immediatly upon opening doors, if they are on. There was a great write up on here on how to install them on the seat frame using a couple self tapping screws and the supplied mounting harness.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kntr
Where did you get that set up from?
It's a Rugged Ridge. I ordered it from 4wd. I believe it was in the catalog... No wait... Web site. Here is the part number 1330521. Also you can do a search for "fire extinguisher" and it pops up.

Originally Posted by scouter4life
Just out of curiosity, why place the fire extinguisher in the back where it can be very difficult to grab in a hurry, especially if the top is up? I have one next to each of the front seats, so they can be grabbed immediatly upon opening doors, if they are on. There was a great write up on here on how to install them on the seat frame using a couple self tapping screws and the supplied mounting harness.
Where I currently have it mounted, which you can see in my picture, is an area that I had given quite some thought to before I mounted it there. All that needs to be done is to first exit the vehicle, then go to the rear and unzip the right side of the rear window (Which is where I usually unzip the window) and grab the top of the extinguisher and pull. It is completely obtainable and easily accessed as soon as you unzip upward. When it is mounted upright it becomes much harder to remove and it also gets in the way of lowering and raising the top. That is when it's mounted in the upright on the rear bar of the 2 door, I don't know about the 4 door. Also, when it's mounted in that way it becomes much more difficult to remove because it has to be pulled upward. The upward motion is harder because of gravity, for one, then there isn't much room to pull upward and also, as we all know, it's not as easy to physically pull upward as it is to pull straight backward. The only place that seems quicker to me is the area just to the left of the driver seat. I simply don't want it there.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
It was a minivan driver, he didn't even know he was in a mini van...
Old 03-31-2008, 05:16 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
What happened to the guy who was sleeping on the matress??
Old 03-31-2008, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scouter4life
I installed mine between the seat and the door, and it came in handy last week... We were driving down the Highway and a pickup had pulled off on the shoulder had his hood up and the engine was blazing, the guy was picking up dirt from the roadside trying to throw it on the motor to put it out. We pulled up, grabbed the extinguisher on the way out the door and had the fire out in a few seconds. We then jumped back in the jeep and left, we had to pull over for the Fire truck heading that way in about a mile. Stopped by the store the same day and picked up a second extinguisher.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:19 PM
JK Junkie

mines for people that pull up next to me blasting gangsta crap in my ear... you know the cars... the individual spent too much on the wheels and sound system and not enough on the car...

and when its empty... its my anti-tailgating devices after i wipe the prints off
Old 05-20-2008, 09:28 PM
JK Freak

wow i've never really thought of all the "what if" fire situations......goin to pick one up tomorrow!

Quick Reply: Why I carry a fire extinguisher?