Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Why I carry a fire extinguisher?

Old 03-30-2008, 05:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why I carry a fire extinguisher?

Many people (non-jeeper friends) often wonder why I carry a fire extinguisher in my jeep. Figured I would share my story......

I had a CJ.....carburator=jerry riggin w/ fuel when flooded=need for fire suppressant. We've all been there.

Had a TJ.....no carburator, but at the time thought the fire extinguisher looked cool. Never thought I would ever "need" it.....until.....

I'm on the highway in my TJ riding to a girl's house who is about an hour's ride away. I've got my "best" clothes on looking to make an impression.
At the time I smoked cigarettes and was smoking one.
It's raining really hard.
Suddenly, I drop the cigarette I'm smoking and it falls in the crack between the steering wheel post and the instrument panel. OOOps.
I assume it will just harmlessly burn out and no big deal.
A minute or so later I smell burning plastic and white smoke starts creeping out of the instrument panel.
In a panic, I pull over, get out (raining really hard still), get the extinguisher from the back roll bar, get back in, and point the extinguisher in to the crack where the smoke is coming from.
I pull the pin and let it go......
The white powder goes EVERYWHERE. Because it is raining, I have ALL the windows up and because I was wet the powder sticks to all of my clothes and my skin. I also swallowed the powder too.
I arrived looking like a powdered donut and subsequently did not impress.

soooo, I suppose the need for a fire extinguisher is justified in my JK because "you never know".
Old 03-30-2008, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1941 Movie

Reminds of the scene in that John Belushi war movie, when they get all the white powder on them.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:43 AM
Former Vendor

Another reason not to smoke. #178 - starts fires and costs you booty.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tgrt
Another reason not to smoke. #178 - starts fires and costs you booty.

That's a for sure.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by A'sJK
Many people (non-jeeper friends) often wonder why I carry a fire extinguisher in my jeep. Figured I would share my story......

I had a CJ.....carburator=jerry riggin w/ fuel when flooded=need for fire suppressant. We've all been there.

Had a TJ.....no carburator, but at the time thought the fire extinguisher looked cool. Never thought I would ever "need" it.....until.....

I'm on the highway in my TJ riding to a girl's house who is about an hour's ride away. I've got my "best" clothes on looking to make an impression.
At the time I smoked cigarettes and was smoking one.
It's raining really hard.
Suddenly, I drop the cigarette I'm smoking and it falls in the crack between the steering wheel post and the instrument panel. OOOps.
I assume it will just harmlessly burn out and no big deal.
A minute or so later I smell burning plastic and white smoke starts creeping out of the instrument panel.
In a panic, I pull over, get out (raining really hard still), get the extinguisher from the back roll bar, get back in, and point the extinguisher in to the crack where the smoke is coming from.
I pull the pin and let it go......
The white powder goes EVERYWHERE. Because it is raining, I have ALL the windows up and because I was wet the powder sticks to all of my clothes and my skin. I also swallowed the powder too.
I arrived looking like a powdered donut and subsequently did not impress.

soooo, I suppose the need for a fire extinguisher is justified in my JK because "you never know".
LOL
DO YOU STILL SMOKE ???

TOO FUNNY PICTURNG THAT ... I WOULD JUST GO HOME AND SAY THERE WAS A SMALL FIRE ...
I FIND THAT IF THE GIRL WASN'T RIGHT THE JEEP WOULD LET ME KNOW

1 YJ MAIN ELECTRICAL RELAY WENT ON MY WAY TO MY EX'S WE WHERE TRYING TO GET BACK TOGETHER
2 TJ WENT TO THE MOVIES AND OF COURSE SOME TRIED TO STILL IT GOOD JOB TUFFY
3 TJ W/T FUTURE WIFE .... SHE BOUGHT ME STUFF SO THE TJ LIKED HER
4 JK W/T WIFE SAME AS FUTURE WIFE HATES IT SAYS CONSUMES TOO MUCH OF MY TIME AND MONEY

BUT LIKES IT WHEN I PULL HER OUT OF THE SNOW AND TAKE THE TOP DOWN

GO FIGURE
Old 03-30-2008, 05:09 PM
JK Junkie

Here's mine.

I showed up in Ft. Lauderdale for a Jeep show and one of the judges goes, " A fireman without a fire extinguisher... HEY, GUYS! THIS GUY'S A FIREMAN AND HE DOESN'T EVEN CARRY AN EXTINGUISHER!!!".... Yeah, and then he started laughing... Needless to say, I'll be avoiding that again.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol firemen with out an extinguisher but i may also do this because those "ya never know" moments can happen at anytime. like with the cigarette ash into the dash panel, -not good. i'd rather have a white interior than no more interior. however i don't smoke but still- anything could happen, maybe somebody's car is starting to catch fire and nobody in sight for help i'd lend a hand extinguishers aren't that expensive but i'd hate to have some d/f mess around with it when i have the top down somewhere and spray my JK with it possibly next mod
Old 03-30-2008, 06:09 PM
JK Super Freak

another reason...
driving down the interstate through consrtuction when my motor cut out... did it again then again ... started smelling smoke and it died. Pulled off the road quickly and saw a ton of smoke pouring out from under the hood so i grabbed a pair of jeans i had laying on the seat popped the hood and smothered the flames...
the mechanic that i had replace a freeze plug on the block ran my + batt cable to close to the headers on its way to the starter and it was laying on them shorting out!!! he coulda burnt my truck down!
Old 03-30-2008, 06:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bOLsAK=3
Here's mine.

I showed up in Ft. Lauderdale for a Jeep show and one of the judges goes, " A fireman without a fire extinguisher... HEY, GUYS! THIS GUY'S A FIREMAN AND HE DOESN'T EVEN CARRY AN EXTINGUISHER!!!".... Yeah, and then he started laughing... Needless to say, I'll be avoiding that again.

Where did you get that set up from?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

I was on my way downtown once when i saw some burning ashes on the road, turns out a guy in a minivan hit a matress, it got caught below the van, and caught fire. he finally pulled over when he smelled something burning. I pulled in front of him, jumped out, grabbed the extinguisher and put out the fire... the scene was actually quite the adrenaline rush. Dad reaching into the flames while screaming at mom to get the kids out of the back, the kids screaming for dear life cuz they have no idea what the hell is going on.... an in runs me to save the day They were very greatful, i helped then get the mattress out from under the van, and off we went. and ever since i ALWAYS carry one in the jeep.

Quick Reply: Why I carry a fire extinguisher?