Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

who is part of the 37 in tire club..(post pics)

Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhpinned

I snapped a rear axle 3 weeks ago on a step, wasn't hammering at all...I know ALOT of guys snapped stuff with 37s and 40s but not flexed, usually its in the rocks and not from flex.
Don't know anyone who's snapped a axle while flexed, usually its a torque situation or leverage of a tire size/stuck/accelerator and it acts like an big lever snapping something.
Also another just destroyed his d30 (ring and pinion gone) as well as several axle tubes sheared.

Just curious and know its a case by case basis I try to justify it but its not forgiving here but I still try to justify 40s without doing a d60 yet....

Ahhhh I want 40s but hate breaking stuff on the trail......lol.......

Dig the 40s...
39 Krawlers on built stock 44's!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1522065424.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	424955   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3380078634.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	424956  
Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 AM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BubbaJK2012
39 Krawlers on built stock 44's!!!
Yeah I wanted km2s in 40 so it would measure just shy, the weight of bfg tires helps for sure. Love the look on the 2dr....weight wise the 2dr is lighter as well...

Good looking jeep.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:16 AM
JK Junkie

Yeah I wanted km2s in 40 so it would measure just shy, the weight of bfg tires helps for sure. Love the look on the 2dr....weight wise the 2dr is lighter as well...

Good looking jeep.
Thanks yeah my tires measure with weight on them 38.5 inches weighting in at 5200lbs
Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 AM
Former Member

Thanks yeah my tires measure with weight on them 38.5 inches weighting in at 5200lbs
Yeah they aren't light lol. I had a toyota 7u desert truck a few pre runners and a crawler. The weight on toyota is LIGHT lol...so used to contending with that and they float on snow with 35"s +.

These just go, kinda like stompers back in the day but mansized-
Old 02-21-2013, 07:54 AM
JK Junkie

Yeah they aren't light lol. I had a toyota 7u desert truck a few pre runners and a crawler. The weight on toyota is LIGHT lol...so used to contending with that and they float on snow with 35"s +.

These just go, kinda like stompers back in the day but mansized-
What did you used to do with the Yotas to help the departure angle, did you shorten the box at all.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

I snapped a rear axle 3 weeks ago on a step, wasn't hammering at all...I know ALOT of guys snapped stuff with 37s and 40s but not flexed, usually its in the rocks and not from flex.
Don't know anyone who's snapped a axle while flexed, usually its a torque situation or leverage of a tire size/stuck/accelerator and it acts like an big lever snapping something.
Also another just destroyed his d30 (ring and pinion gone) as well as several axle tubes sheared.

Just curious and know its a case by case basis I try to justify it but its not forgiving here but I still try to justify 40s without doing a d60 yet....

Ahhhh I want 40s but hate breaking stuff on the trail......lol.......

Dig the 40s...
The only people iv known who broke their axles were on flex. I don't even have my gears done. So I don't have any torque to break them. Until I strengthen them, I'm not worrying about gears. All I'm saying that if the axle is shifting weird and or has a weird angle it will break. I drove with an ifs on 40s and didn't even break the control arms or the cv arms. Though I did take the gear out of my 8.8 but I haven't touched anything on the diff for 220k+ Kms. If I do run into problems ill keep you posted the only issue iv had is ripping the boot cover off my front driveshaft. But with my jeep iv had it up krawling in the falls here and flexing it and haven't broke anything. So I guess it's just a matter of what your planning on using it for this vehicle is still a dd so I am rather cautious while I'm out playing. Just my 2 cents it's really up to you
Old 02-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Former Member

What did you used to do with the Yotas to help the departure angle, did you shorten the box at all.
Bobbed the rear I ran 4 runners for pre runner/race and started a rock crawler build that a buddy finished with a Chevy motor/SAS and 42s....

Jp3792:
to address flex I think your buddies that broke were twisted up in the rocks and it was one wheel stuck on a obstacle trying to move up it. This has nothing to do with flex rather the leverage that's put on the axles/carrier/drive line.

If I have 1 wheel on ice and the other on the ground and Im trying to pull something the tire with traction or with the most resistance is going to be my weak link (even locked up). If you have a tire off the ground and a tire on the obstacle le the tire on the obstacle or with the most resistance is now the point of stress. Axles don't really care if they are twisted or not, a rear flange might but not the drive train.

This is why I'm Leary of 40s on d44 is my ring and pinion size and the fact that your not running the trails we do or you'd be locked up and geared. If your running mild stuff and mountains fire roads occasional rock you'll be OK but not down here it becomes a crap shoot.

Still doesn't mean I'm not trying to justify it lol....I'm not too worried about axles (a little) more my gears and carrier, I don't want to explode a Detroit/ARB/ring and pinion. The cost of replacement could have been a downpayment on a d60 ....

Last edited by BRUT4CE; 02-21-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Bobbed the rear I ran 4 runners for pre runner/race and started a rock crawler build that a buddy finished with a Chevy motor/SAS and 42s....

Jp3792:
to address flex I think your buddies that broke were twisted up in the rocks and it was one wheel stuck on a obstacle trying to move up it. This has nothing to do with flex rather the leverage that's put on the axles/carrier/drive line.

If I have 1 wheel on ice and the other on the ground and Im trying to pull something the tire with traction or with the most resistance is going to be my weak link (even locked up). If you have a tire off the ground and a tire on the obstacle le the tire on the obstacle or with the most resistance is now the point of stress. Axles don't really care if they are twisted or not, a rear flange might but not the drive train.

This is why I'm Leary of 40s on d44 is my ring and pinion size and the fact that your not running the trails we do or you'd be locked up and geared. If your running mild stuff and mountains fire roads occasional rock you'll be OK but not down here it becomes a crap shoot.

Still doesn't mean I'm not trying to justify it lol....I'm not too worried about axles (a little) more my gears and carrier, I don't want to explode a Detroit/ARB/ring and pinion. The cost of replacement could have been a downpayment on a d60 ....
Fair enough. I have it locked up all the time when I'm out. Down here all we have is falls and it's. a 2 hour drive in the bush down rocky train and crossing water. It's not as crazy as where you are but it's good for here. Like I was stating I haven't broke anything. I wouldn't bother with a dana60 but that's just my opinion. It is nice to have closure knowing your diff can take it, but everyone opinion is to their own. If you find a 37 that is the same weight as a 40 or close the only difference is height, most tires aren't even close to what they say they are, my brothers 40" nittos sit at around 39, my iroks are 38.6. So it depends it's not even worth the extra money in my opinion other then ground clearance. Which is minor, I'd stay with 37s-38s the size isn't much different iv worked at a tire shop for 2 years and had the privilege of knowing most tire sizes. But that's just my opinion. The weight is what gets you, not the size. My 38 nittos are like 15 pounds heavier then my 39.5s
Old 02-23-2013, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

Surprised and pleased to find out that Sears carries Falken Wildpeak A/T 37s for only $320 online. Free pick up at your local store. They also have a 325/80 16 which is a 36 inch tire for $304. Hell of a deal I think!
Old 02-23-2013, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2488125141.jpg
Views:	971
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	425785

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1610509135.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	425786

42" KM2s....

Quick Reply: who is part of the 37 in tire club..(post pics)