Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Who needs big tires and a lift to look cool?

Old 04-01-2013, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDragonTJH
I'll post up some pictures of my JK after the weekend hopefully, I have my stubby bumper caps and a pair of 6" offroad lights in and a MOPAR bumper bar on order that I expect to get in yet this week or early next.
I can't pony up for the big mods and it's my DD so I have to suffice with little mods to make it unique.
exactly, im just trying to warn some jeepers out there, bigger tires will greatly increase your mpg wasted and lift kits put stress on your jeep parts. Transmission will blow earlier then expected due to lift kits.Everything that deals with the suspension will be affected. be careful what you see on this thread, monkey see monkey do. This goes to the daily drivers. I love my jeep its my daily driver, im going to mod it but keep the tires and lift as stock as possible, the Rubicon tires is prob as high as i'll go.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I always respond to the question "what's your gas mileage" with "I have no idea, I don't think the 12 MPG it says on the dash is accurate, it seems much worse than that but I didn't buy it to save gas". You are right; but unlike the majority of lifted trucks, the bigger tires and lifts on jeeps are usually done for reasons (clearance, air pressure, function, etc...with looks being the last on that list for me, but it helps). All Jeeps (except the two wheel drive) are very capable but if you're going to really start crawling, a lift and tires are needed. There are those mall crawlers out there but I'd enjoy seeing nice mall crawler of a Jeep rolling down the road than a Chevy Tahoe or worse, Toyota Prius. Other than my lift and I only have a couple mods that were cost effective.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1279982737.jpg
Views:	1141
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	441488Click image for larger version

Name:	image-907883809.jpg
Views:	1129
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	441489Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3948422669.jpg
Views:	1165
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	441490

Bumper cost $0

Fender Trim cost $0

Air Compressor cost $250-$300 bought it in 2010 and don't remember
Old 04-01-2013, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ptrckdillard
I always respond to the question "what's your gas mileage" with "I have no idea, I don't think the 12 MPG it says on the dash is accurate, it seems much worse than that but I didn't buy it to save gas". You are right; but unlike the majority of lifted trucks, the bigger tires and lifts on jeeps are usually done for reasons (clearance, air pressure, function, etc...with looks being the last on that list for me, but it helps). All Jeeps (except the two wheel drive) are very capable but if you're going to really start crawling, a lift and tires are needed. There are those mall crawlers out there but I'd enjoy seeing nice mall crawler of a Jeep rolling down the road than a Chevy Tahoe or worse, Toyota Prius. Other than my lift and I only have a couple mods that were cost effective.

Attachment 441488Attachment 441489Attachment 441490

Bumper cost $0

Fender Trim cost $0

Air Compressor cost $250-$300 bought it in 2010 and don't remember
I like your onboard air setup do you have a write up or a product list or reccomendation i can copy from ya ?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by airborned

I like your onboard air setup do you have a write up or a product list or reccomendation i can copy from ya ?
It's a Viair 400c heavy duty compressor with a 2 gallon tank. All you need is the wiring, some u-bolts, the regulator switch, and a gauge. Many places sell everything you need plus stuff you don't in a kit. I just checked quadratec and they have a system for about 370.

I only used this kit because I already had it from 2010.

I'd look into the ARB system that mounts right above your master cylinder. Less space used and almost as fast without a tank.

If you go the route I did feel free to PM me and I'll send you my # if you any ?'s
Old 04-01-2013, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like big tires and i can't not lie! :p
Old 04-01-2013, 09:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your right, jeeps do come very capable off road. It's the fact that adding a bigger lift and tires make it that much more capable.

I went from stock slick tires and stock suspension to 2.5" and 33s. That Improved my performance on the trails by a lot.

Then I moved up to 3" and 35s. Night and day difference.

I don't know where you live and see jeeps that are fixed up and don't wheel. But here in Colorado, 90% of the jeeps I wheel with are lifted and have bigger tires and hit the trails 4-5 times a week.

Don't get me wrong, stock jeeps are capable, but it has its limits depending on what you want to do. Here in colorado, if you have a stock jeep, don't plan on hitting 6-7+ rated trails because you won't make it no matter how good of a driver you are.

Many factors here. Without a lift, your going to get hung up, less articulation, your front and rear bumpers have way less clearance to climb boulders and rocks. Without bigger tires, your differentials are that much more prone to getting banged up on the trail, that's less clearance, and the smaller tires really aren't going to help you crawl larger obstacles.

From my experience, when I was stock, there were trails and obstacles I simply couldn't do without getting high centered. Bumpers got banged up a lot more, and I honestly damaged a lot more. Why not make life easier and just build it up?

And a TJ, is capable. Not as much as a Stock JK though. I might get crap for this, but it will take se money and modding to make a stock TJ as capable as a stock JK.

Just my 2 cents
Old 04-01-2013, 09:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correction to my post above, 4-5 times a month not week sorry. Don't know how to edit from the phone.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thing is, with a jk, 2" of lift and 33" tires does not affect gas milage as much as heavy bumpers and armor would.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:14 AM
JK Freak

I guess I will throw up the first picture of a non-lifted with 33" tires. I do want a 2" lift, but don't have one yet. I drive 100 miles a day round trip to work and love my JK.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0619.jpg
Views:	1209
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	441582 Click image for larger version

Name:	MBRP Bar.jpg
Views:	1074
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	441583 Click image for larger version

Name:	New Stickers 1.jpg
Views:	1007
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	441584 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0418.jpg
Views:	1060
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	441585
Old 04-02-2013, 02:36 AM
JK Super Freak

I did it cause i wanted to look down on most other vehicules...as for the cool factor it just is...
Gas mileage don't care...Love driving my JKU...

Quick Reply: Who needs big tires and a lift to look cool?