Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

What in the World was Chrysler Thinking?

Old 05-04-2011, 12:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I know, I know, I know!!!

Hello and sorry to dig that up, but for some reason search spit that thread out while I was on my quest for something completely different.

Anyways, I just bought my 2009 Unlimited last week and went ahead to check if it's the same crossmember. Well, yes it is, and it's built with clearance for the different exhaust routing and, what seems to be, a catalytic converter on the 2.8L CRD models.
If you wish, I can post a follow-up with a picture!
Old 05-04-2011, 02:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lauti
Hello and sorry to dig that up, but for some reason search spit that thread out while I was on my quest for something completely different.

Anyways, I just bought my 2009 Unlimited last week and went ahead to check if it's the same crossmember. Well, yes it is, and it's built with clearance for the different exhaust routing and, what seems to be, a catalytic converter on the 2.8L CRD models.
If you wish, I can post a follow-up with a picture!
correct, I have the 2.8 crd and that catalytic converter sits right in that place
Old 05-04-2011, 08:18 PM
JK Newbie

Same with the exhaust cover right over the automatic tranmission bolts so you cannot get to the bolts. Could have been easily avoided by routing the exhaust a couple inches back. Just weird unplanned engineering.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Newbie

Actually, Jeep does make a right hand drive Jeep and is sold in England and do to some other features the British require I can see that there might be a need for it. I almost wanted to by a British spec Jeep, just to have one that is different when I came back to the United States. I am active duty military and have been stationed in Europe and Asia for over 13 years out of my 19years of active duty military.

Jeep is actually sells allot of vehicles in England.

You also have countries like Turkey and Japan that drives on the otherside of the road. Jeeps are also big in Turkey. I was stationed there too!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:56 PM
JK Newbie

anyone know if (and or when ) this was corrected ? just bought a 2011 auto and want to lift it 3"-3.5" . front drive shaft still required?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:02 PM
JK Junkie

yup it'll still hit. you can notch it with a saw but in the end you're gonna want new DS's anyway.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:28 AM
JK Newbie

[/PHP]
Originally Posted by eric513
anyone know if (and or when ) this was corrected ? just bought a 2011 auto and want to lift it 3"-3.5" . front drive shaft still required?
The 2011's aren't coming with a tranny skid plate, only a bar. So it looks like there is enough room...???
Old 05-05-2011, 01:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two pics, and I had a close-up, which turned out to be too blurry.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59879497@N05/5689334181/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59879497@N05/5689332467/
Old 05-05-2011, 01:49 AM
JK Newbie

Default It does have a purpose!

Originally Posted by Lauti
Two pics, and I had a close-up, which turned out to be too blurry.

Thank you very much Lauti
As we can see in your photos that the "indent" in the skid plate does have a purpose. It is to clear the CAT CONVERTER on the 2.8 CRD models.
We don't have the option of the diesel here in the US.
And there is plenty of space around the drive shaft at stock height.
Thanks again, that should clear this topic up.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

you guys rock. not that this topic would ever concern me because I'm like the only person in the world who has no desire to lift his jeep HOWEVER, I am a junky when it comes to "knowing" what where and how things work, or don't work.

Quick Reply: What in the World was Chrysler Thinking?