Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

What in the World was Chrysler Thinking?

Old 09-20-2009, 08:56 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Lightbulb What in the World was Chrysler Thinking?

Have any of you ever taken a close look at your automatic transmisson skid plate? You know, the one that your front drive shaft hits if you have a 3" lift or more and limits the amount of droop you have? Wouldn't it have been great if Chrysler thought ahead and took this into consideration when designing this skid - maybe shape it in a way that would offer just a bit more clearnace? Well, by the look of things, they actually did. Only problem is, they put it on the wrong side

This is a shot of the automatic transmission skid plate as it would look if you lowered it to the ground and you were standing in front of it. The single mounting point in the center points towards the back of your JK....

Here is a close up shot to give you a better look at what the skidplate looks like...

Now, I have looked and giving this a lot of thought and simply cannot think of why this skidplate would be embossed and trimmed where it is. There is nothing on the passenger side of your JK that requires this extra clearance nor can I think of why it would be needed on forign or military JK. BUT, had it be located on the driver side, this would have been perfect to help offer clearance for your front drive shaft.

Anyway, I thought some of you might get a kick out this.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

wow really? I have to know how you came across that one. That must have been one of those light bulb moments when you first saw it.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is ridiculous!
Old 09-20-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it was done to help tooling in the assembly process.....then again maybe not......just a thought?

EDIT: I am beginning to wonder if with a little welding skill you could cut it out and cut the identical area on the other side and swap it????

Last edited by 09rubicon; 09-20-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is retarded! I wonder if they were planning ahead and got it on the wrong side on accident? I wouldn't put it past them! That is funny. Thanks for the laugh Eddie.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha they are so stupid. The overpaid automotive assembly line workers probably just put all the pieces in the wrong way haha.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by officer_vince
Hahaha they are so stupid. The overpaid automotive assembly line workers probably just put all the pieces in the wrong way haha.
Yeah, that must be it
Old 09-20-2009, 11:16 AM
JK Freak

This is almost worth a call to someone at Chrysler just to see what they have to say about it!
Old 09-20-2009, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Logical next question:

Anyone make an aftermarket replacement with that feature in the correct location?

Gotta be cheaper than replacing a drive shaft.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Probably cheaper yet to have a fab shop recess the other side to match?

Quick Reply: What in the World was Chrysler Thinking?