Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

What springs for off road trailer?

Old 02-06-2012, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What springs for off road trailer?

I am building my off road trailer. It will be primarily on road to my camp in Northern Maine with then trips off road. It is going to be 3'x6', running my 16 inch wheels on 285/75/16 Duratracs. It will probably weigh I am guessing 300 pounds. What have others done for spring set-ups?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Anyone?
Old 02-07-2012, 03:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not built one - but I'd be asking... Axle, or independent suspension? Northern Tool carries the largest selection of trailer parts that I know of for your typical leaf springs / axle setup - Etrailer maybe a good source, but I have no experience with them. If you are going independent - clearly geometry is important and the length of spring is relational to the length of the swing-arm and desired travel... I am planning to build an offroad trailer at some point in the future and will probably opt for the latter, using coil-over shocks.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:02 PM
JK Super Freak

I am going with an axle that I will build. I was thinking 1000lb springs would be more than enough.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm planning a build as well. I have a complete jk suspension with arms and trackbars as spare, so I'm thinking about a 4link using half of the jk sport suspension.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DanieltheManual
I'm planning a build as well. I have a complete jk suspension with arms and trackbars as spare, so I'm thinking about a 4link using half of the jk sport suspension.
I haven been considering the same. I will have all of my stock control arms and springs too. Seems like a good idea?!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CottonFire
I haven been considering the same. I will have all of my stock control arms and springs too. Seems like a good idea?!
Do you think that set up would be too stiff for a small trailer? Im afraid it would be very hard and bounce all over the place.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tractor Supply is another good source for trailer parts if you have one near you or buy online. I can't imagine putting more than 1000 pounds on a trailer as small as that, but if you use leaf springs you can remove leaves to suit your need. You can see how many leaves are under a small boat trailer or jet ski trailer to get an idea.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maine07jk

Do you think that set up would be too stiff for a small trailer? Im afraid it would be very hard and bounce all over the place.
Ya not too sure myself.... The set up I read up on had airbags instead of springs..... Ill keep dreaming...lol
Old 02-13-2012, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

I started my trailer build tonight. Well, actually it is a frame and box marriage. Last year I bought a 5x7 trailer that the guy put cheap lumber on as a bed. Yesterday, I bought an Army surplus M101 box (no frame or axle) from a fellow jeeper and soldier. The frame has leaf springs and a set of overload also. I think leaf, but I may put a load in it too. With it being a small trailer and only weigh in at 300, JK springs and coils should work.

Quick Reply: What springs for off road trailer?