Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

What was done to your JK this week?

Old 05-19-2012, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to post this in the event it might help some of ya'll.

We bought a Thule bike carrier for our factory spare tire and after a few months noticed the tailgate sounded different when it latched. The wife started doing internet searches and found what ya'll already knew, the stock spare tire mount isn't designed to carry additional weight.

Being an old Hot Rodder at heart I came up with a relatively inexpensive fix. I built a scissor jack support for the rear tire that attaches to the existing receiver hitch. We only use this when the bikes are on the carrier.

The scissor jack support is shown in the photos below. It simply slides into the hitch and is secured with a standard hitch pin. Then the scissor jack is turned by hand until it is against the spare tire, just enough pressure for support. This counteracts the extra weight of the bicycles and elminates the extra load on the hinges, latch and tailgate. Keep in mind the "damaging" effect of the extra weight is when you are driving the Jeep with the extra weight. Bumps, potholes, etc. create loads greater than the actual weight.

The nice thing about this is you simply reach down and lower the jack a bit and you can still open the tailgate. Then once closed you just reach down and raise the jack against the tire.

We bought a scissor jack for like $30 bucks, but could have used the stock jack that came with the Jeep.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Lakeroadster
I wanted to post this in the event it might help some of ya'll.

We bought a Thule bike carrier for our factory spare tire and after a few months noticed the tailgate sounded different when it latched. The wife started doing internet searches and found what ya'll already knew, the stock spare tire mount isn't designed to carry additional weight.

Being an old Hot Rodder at heart I came up with a relatively inexpensive fix. I built a scissor jack support for the rear tire that attaches to the existing receiver hitch. We only use this when the bikes are on the carrier.

The scissor jack support is shown in the photos below. It simply slides into the hitch and is secured with a standard hitch pin. Then the scissor jack is turned by hand until it is against the spare tire, just enough pressure for support. This counteracts the extra weight of the bicycles and elminates the extra load on the hinges, latch and tailgate. Keep in mind the "damaging" effect of the extra weight is when you are driving the Jeep with the extra weight. Bumps, potholes, etc. create loads greater than the actual weight.

The nice thing about this is you simply reach down and lower the jack a bit and you can still open the tailgate. Then once closed you just reach down and raise the jack against the tire.

We bought a scissor jack for like $30 bucks, but could have used the stock jack that came with the Jeep.

Awesome idea! I have the same bike rack and love it but was worried about the extra weight especially with the bigger spare tire I have. Where did you get the plate you adapted to the jack?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Happy go topless day everyone
Old 05-19-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just installed Banks Ram-Air CAI. Only have about 20 miles on since I installed it. Hope it shows a little mpg increase - even if it's 1 mpg better. That would equal out to a little more than a free gallon of gas each fill-up! After about 75 fill-ups I'd be even... Hey, every little bit helps! But I do like the sound it gives my jeep.

Like I said, I have only driven it about 20 miles but I have noticed a little hesitation now. Anyone else experience that?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
Happy go topless day everyone
I so wish I could!!! I'm still waiting for my Trektop NX to get here.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snags922
Just installed Banks Ram-Air CAI. Only have about 20 miles on since I installed it. Hope it shows a little mpg increase - even if it's 1 mpg better. That would equal out to a little more than a free gallon of gas each fill-up! After about 75 fill-ups I'd be even... Hey, every little bit helps! But I do like the sound it gives my jeep.

Like I said, I have only driven it about 20 miles but I have noticed a little hesitation now. Anyone else experience that?
Hesitation as in lag when accelerating? Do you have larger tires? & did you re-caliberate you speedo? I have the banks to & noticed some before I got my procal now its alot less. But thats ok its not a race car so I don't need to be off the line fast just up the boulder eventually. Also I noticed a little gain in fuel economy about a 1-1.5 still only get like 14-15 mpg. It does give the minivan engine a better sound.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Got my bfg ta km2's on pro comp 16's!!! Only the beginning...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1871346346.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	318686
Old 05-19-2012, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Murder¹
Hesitation as in lag when accelerating? Do you have larger tires? & did you re-caliberate you speedo? I have the banks to & noticed some before I got my procal now its alot less. But thats ok its not a race car so I don't need to be off the line fast just up the boulder eventually. Also I noticed a little gain in fuel economy about a 1-1.5 still only get like 14-15 mpg. It does give the minivan engine a better sound.
When I step on the throttle, it takes a second for it to react. I have slightly larger tires - 295/70R17 - they are 33.6" instead of the stock 32". I did use my ProCal to recalibrate the speedo. I know it's no race car but when pulling into traffic, I don't want any hesitation.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by White Lightning
Got my bfg ta km2's on pro comp 16's!!! Only the beginning...

Attachment 318686
Yup, only the beginning of freeing your wallet of all it's money! Been there - done that! Still there - still doing that!

Drinking helps the situation though! Eases the pain.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snags922

When I step on the throttle, it takes a second for it to react. I have slightly larger tires - 295/70R17 - they are 33.6" instead of the stock 32". I did use my ProCal to recalibrate the speedo. I know it's no race car but when pulling into traffic, I don't want any hesitation.
I think its more the engine in the jeeps thats giving the lag I've seen alot of people talk about it

Quick Reply: What was done to your JK this week?