Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

What CAD program do you use?

Old 08-17-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wads13
quote originally posted by 09jeepjk view post
am i the only one who uses pro engineer?

I have to say; in my world pro-e is considered a "four-letter word" if ya get my drift.
i know exactly what you mean!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default cad

i love autocad but too expensive and for basic home drawings draft sight is free. it is pretty powerful and user friendly very similar to autocad.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

Been using Autodesk software since 1989. Started manual drafting in 1985. Started with CAD on AutoCAD R9, now using Autodesk Inventor 2012 Professional. After making the transition from AutoCAD to Inventor back in 2005, I'm not sure now how I ever designed in 2D. Inventor is very intuitive & allows you to very quickly solve complex mechanical arrangements in far less time than it did 20 years ago with far less manpower.

But, in my opinion, CAD does NOT "design" & think for you. It still takes a real person to actually sit down & plan out a design project. My two cents is: save your money & use a pencil & paper. It's a lost art these days. Nothing substitutes for thinking & planning. CAD is just a tool.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Rubicamp, I completely agree; I think I was the last of my generation to start out with pencil and paper, but I believe everyone should still be taught the complexity of design this way for a greater understanding of the relationship between 2D and 3D. Still to this day I will sketch out designs in the pre-planning phase by hand; it helps me wrap my head around what I'm trying to accomplish! In fact dodd it just this morning for another project idea!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AutoCAD and Inventor (2010 versions).

I'm the CAD admin at my work. Presently upgrading all our customized applications/add-ons to work with the 2012 versions.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

I got a neat little program I use at work when someone needs me to do a rendering. It's not the most acturate program but I never need to use the ctl+alt_dte key with it....it's called handCAD.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

I use UG NX3 the most. our company has NX3 and NX6 but most of the guys, especially the boss, are the definition of teaching an old dog new tricks. since NX6 saves aren't backwards compatible to NX3 we barely use 6 for anything other than a catia to jt to _xt converter. i get to dabble in workNC a little also.

while on the topic of cad, is there any place to get my hands on some jk data? i would like to make some ideas i have come true and a model would be a major help.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

I have found a couple decent models, but unfortunately the website bookmarks are on my laptop at the office (didn't bring it home cause I'm working on a Jeep peoject this weekend) and being late saturday night I cannot get to them. But I will be there tomorrow to pack things up for a trip next week, so I'll jump back on here and get them to you. From what I can remember they are just basic JK models and are not free but I've been considering downloading them.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Freak

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but here are the links I promised, a lot of these will probably have to be downloaded in a generic format and converted to AutoCAD:

http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Ind...angler&x=0&y=0

http://www.3dcadbrowser.com/browse.aspx

http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_s...=Jeep+Wrangler
Old 08-21-2011, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome thanks for the links. Will have to check them out when I get home from mudding.

Quick Reply: What CAD program do you use?