Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Welding experts???

Old 05-17-2010, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike536
You know everything you say is right on. Minus the the comment at the begining of your post. "Hmmm, professional welder for 3 whole years. And your not one anymore because.....?, i'll just leave that blank for now" Really who cares why he's not anymore. If you looked at his Avatar you can see the Med Hummer. Thats probably why he's not a welder anymore..serving his country. I could be wrong but who really cares.Oh I guess I should say i've been a welder for 9+ yrs. Steel, Aluminum, Armor plate. (Yes I'm military as well.)

Good luck with welding if a great past time.
Mike
Oh BryGuy. Not many Newfies on here. Good to see another one!!! I grew up in St. John's.
Dam why is it that everytime someone gets on here to say something someones got to give them shit...I could not say it any better myself..who gives a dam if it was only for 3 years he did it for, come on.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:17 PM
JK Newbie

I think you read my post wrong Geo. I was actually saying the same thing you said. I personally don't think it was fair for someone to as why he only did it for 3 yrs. His avatar is pretty much a confirmation what he's doing now. Gee's I got to go back and read my post now. I hope I didn't offend anyone. Sorry if I did.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

i'm really glad this thread started.. I have been a tinker forever but have not started welding. After I get my exhaust i'll have a bunch of room in the back... I think i'm going to expand the rear hidden compartment to put a compressor/tank and tools and such. That would just be a quick fabrication that could even be done without welding, but would be better with it.

It's always nice to be able to change materials how you want them to be.

Originally Posted by geo76og
Dam why is it that everytime someone gets on here to say something someones got to give them shit...I could not say it any better myself..who gives a dam if it was only for 3 years he did it for, come on.
You are correct, 3 > 0.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of great tips on this thread. Mig is the easiest to learn and use. That being said, the strength of a stick weld is second to none.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you are mig welding do not compromise on anything less than a Tough Gun Mig Gun!!!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

i weld for a living and id recommend getting a triple phase MIG welder. they're really versitile and You could run hard wire with gas or flux core with or without gas. as posted above the best way to learn is to just run it on scrap metal. worse comes to worse weld it hot and grind it up to make it look good. like they say, a grinder and paint make a welder what he aint...haha. good luck
Old 09-24-2010, 08:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven4est
Looking to learn how to weld. I mgiht take a course this summer but was really wondering how hard it is? Ive seen electric welders for like 200 bucks on amazon. Are they worth it? Could i weld in an exhaust with it? Could i weld in a roll bar??? What is a good welding machine to learn on? any one wanna help explain some of these things to me?? Thanks
You will learn (if you haven't already) that when you ask a question like that you are going to get ALOT of opinions. I will agree with some, and some I think are just a matter of preferrence.

You do need to get a good welder and MIG is definetly the easiest to learn on. I would suggest a Hobart 135/140 MIG. You can weld anything on a JK with this machine, I don't care what anyone says and it also allows you to run gas or flux core wire. elarn on flux, then switch to gas and straight wire.

Do NOT buy a cheapo from discount stores like HF. You get what you pay for in this one. Read the machines capabilities before you buy, specifically what is the max thickness the machine will weld and in what configuration, that's important.

With that Hobart you will be able to weld up to 3/16. you can even do 1/4 if you heat with torch first. It's a good little welder to learn on and will weld just about anything you need to do. Then practice, practice, practice. If you are using flux, clean the weld free of slag and look for the shiny weld...dull is bad...shiny is good..lol.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nbro
i weld for a living and id recommend getting a triple phase MIG welder. they're really versitile and You could run hard wire with gas or flux core with or without gas. as posted above the best way to learn is to just run it on scrap metal. worse comes to worse weld it hot and grind it up to make it look good. like they say, a grinder and paint make a welder what he aint...haha. good luck
please tell me you didn't just recommend a 3 phase welder to start with!

how many people even have 3 phase service.

unless triple phase means something else here

im not a pro welder either, im just a hobbyist and ive pretty much taught myself.
i have both a 110 and a 220 machine
the 110 was fine for a while and was real easy to work with, but it was highly recommended against for anything cool like bumpers.

so i bought a millermatic 180 240 unit.
big difference.
that thing cranked out soo much power it was hard to tame at first, i actually had that thing burn thru 1/4" plate one me.
and it welds thicker materials faster, so now i cant take my time as much as i want to.
but after its done the outcome is great. definatly solid machine.

dont forget you also have to have a 240 outlet nearby.

Quick Reply: Welding experts???