Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Welding experts???

Old 04-27-2010, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welding experts???

Looking to learn how to weld. I mgiht take a course this summer but was really wondering how hard it is? Ive seen electric welders for like 200 bucks on amazon. Are they worth it? Could i weld in an exhaust with it? Could i weld in a roll bar??? What is a good welding machine to learn on? any one wanna help explain some of these things to me?? Thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Don't buy a cheapie

I'm not an expert per se but I can give you a few tips.

Don't buy a cheapie welder because you'll soon want to upgrade. Stick with something well known that is American made. And don't buy a simple plug in 115v unit, go with 230v or at least a unit that has the ability to run 115 and 230. Several companies have units with auto settings (e.g. Millermatic Auto Set feature). This is good to get you out of the box and running but after you get good you'll want to fine tune the settings especially when you're welding different metals (stainless, aluminum).

Welding isn't rocket science but it sure helps a bunch to have someone there who knows how to do it when you're learning. Getting the settings right is crucial and then learning how to push/pull the gun for various jobs makes a difference in how your welds turn out.

The general school of thought is that MIG is the easiest to learn. That is probably the case for most people. If you buy a MIG welder, you can run flux cored wire (no shielding gas needed) or you can run straight wire and use a shielding gas, which is usually an argon and CO2 mix. Get an auto darkening hood b/c it'll make life easier when getting the gun in position.

Go to the Miller, Lincoln and Hobart websites and poke around. There's a lot of good info there.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by thebigtman

Don't buy a cheapie welder because you'll soon want to upgrade. Stick with something well known that is American made. And don't buy a simple plug in 115v unit, go with 230v or at least a unit that has the ability to run 115 and 230. Several companies have units with auto settings (e.g. Millermatic Auto Set feature). This is good to get you out of the box and running but after you get good you'll want to fine tune the settings especially when you're welding different metals (stainless, aluminum).

Welding isn't rocket science but it sure helps a bunch to have someone there who knows how to do it when you're learning. Getting the settings right is crucial and then learning how to push/pull the gun for various jobs makes a difference in how your welds turn out.

The general school of thought is that MIG is the easiest to learn. That is probably the case for most people. If you buy a MIG welder, you can run flux cored wire (no shielding gas needed) or you can run straight wire and use a shielding gas, which is usually an argon and CO2 mix. Get an auto darkening hood b/c it'll make life easier when getting the gun in position.

Go to the Miller, Lincoln and Hobart websites and poke around. There's a lot of good info there.
A 115 welder will work for cosmetic stuff and an exhaust, but for anything structural i.e. a roll cage i wouldn't trust it. They don't run hot enough to penatrate the metal. Flux core is crap. For small home projects you don't need a auto hood. A good auto hood isn't worth the $ for home projects ( around $300). The best way to learn is to get a welder and a bunch of scrap metal. I'm sure you can find a instructional video on you tube. I was a profesional welder for 3 years.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thebigtman

I agree, when the time comes get a welder that will last you. The best thing that you can do is take a welding class. The beginner courses are usually cheap and you can learn on the four main welding techniques (MIG,TIG, STICK and GAS). Best of all you will be able to pick the welder that will be best for your needs before spending the money. You will also be able to practice as much as you want without paying for the electricity and consumables in most cases. I would say take the class before deciding.

Mig is probably the most versatile and is the easiest to learn. A good 230V Lincoln or Miller would work great.

Good luck.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:50 AM
Former Member

I agree take a night school course before you toast your wheels in a way you never intended.

Hopefully you already know how not to fry your computers/bearings etc. by locating the welder grounds as needed?

Unless you're planning on a lot of welding in the future...why wouldn't you just pay the man down the road that knows what he's doing?

He fries something-he replaces.

No, welding isn't rocket science but when you're dealing with a vehicle designed and built with the thinest/lightest high tensile steels it's definitely the wrong place to be saying "oh sh-t" as you get a burn through during the weld process or a weld breaking later.

Just a thought...Your money...
Old 05-07-2010, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Newer 110V MIG welders do great up to 3/16" thick material right?

What welds on a JK would be greater than that?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

The more voltage the machine has to work with, the smoother the volt-amp conversion will "feel" coming out the business end (easy explanation version). All welders are taking high-voltage/low-amperage and converting it to high-amp/low-volt. You'll also find the machine won't be smokin' hot when you're welding anything higher than that 3/16"

Also, even with one of those tiny little MIG welder that state 3/16" material thickness, keep in mind that's recommended weldment size with a single pass. Can always multi-pass something, or manipulate a MIG weld more than most other weld types and stile get a good result.

Buddy up to someone in your area who's got a MIG, give him a case of beer and weld the crap out some scrap metal, thin gauge and thicker plate. You'll be good to go. It's like operating a high-speed high-heat glue gun!
Old 05-08-2010, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by crp534
A 115 welder will work for cosmetic stuff and an exhaust, but for anything structural i.e. a roll cage i wouldn't trust it. They don't run hot enough to penatrate the metal. Flux core is crap. For small home projects you don't need a auto hood. A good auto hood isn't worth the $ for home projects ( around $300). The best way to learn is to get a welder and a bunch of scrap metal. I'm sure you can find a instructional video on you tube. I was a profesional welder for 3 years.
Hmmm, professional welder for 3 whole years. And your not one anymore because.....?, i'll just leave that blank for now. our right about the, 110's, being to, "light" for anything other then cosmetic stuff, I don't care who you are, they just can't run hot enough for anything structural. And as far as flux core being crap, if you don't know what your doing, then yeah that wire sucks, but with a good machine, and patience, and practice anyone can make it look like butter, just take your time. Different brands of wire run differently in different machines, wow that was a twister. And always make yourself comfortable, position wise.

I've been welding for ten years now, cert.'ed for 8 of those, and I still learn something new everyday. Spend the money on a good machine, and do your best to steady your patience and you'll be fine. Or contact a Union boilermaker, pipefitter, or ironworker in your area. I'd go for the Ironworker myself.....

Miller
Old 05-14-2010, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default welder

Taking a beginers course at your local college is a great way to start. As far as machines go I personally use a MM212 in my garage. It welds anything I need. Something that I havent seen posted is the Duty Cycle. If you are to run a 115v machine the duty cycle on some of those cranked way up is very short. I saw a machine with a 10% duty cycle the other day. So you are recomended to weld for 1 minute and let it cool for 9 minutes. You may end up running to your breaker box more than actually welding. If you were to go with a 115v machine I would recommend something like the Hobart Handler 140 with Strait Co2 for more penetration. More to clean up but you get more bite. If you were welding a 1 3/4 tube .120 wall the Hobart 140 would work. It is rated up to 1/4 cranked WAY up. Remember to prep you material. You will weld much better on a good clean surface. Do NOT buy one of these cheep welders that you find for a few hundred bucks. Its money wasted. Some times your budget will not allow you to go out and buy a bigger machine. I would tell you to save your money until you can afford something with a little more power behind it. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ironworkerlu21
Hmmm, professional welder for 3 whole years. And your not one anymore because.....?, i'll just leave that blank for now. our right about the, 110's, being to, "light" for anything other then cosmetic stuff, I don't care who you are, they just can't run hot enough for anything structural. And as far as flux core being crap, if you don't know what your doing, then yeah that wire sucks, but with a good machine, and patience, and practice anyone can make it look like butter, just take your time. Different brands of wire run differently in different machines, wow that was a twister. And always make yourself comfortable, position wise.

I've been welding for ten years now, cert.'ed for 8 of those, and I still learn something new everyday. Spend the money on a good machine, and do your best to steady your patience and you'll be fine. Or contact a Union boilermaker, pipefitter, or ironworker in your area. I'd go for the Ironworker myself.....

Miller
You know everything you say is right on. Minus the the comment at the begining of your post. "Hmmm, professional welder for 3 whole years. And your not one anymore because.....?, i'll just leave that blank for now" Really who cares why he's not anymore. If you looked at his Avatar you can see the Med Hummer. Thats probably why he's not a welder anymore..serving his country. I could be wrong but who really cares.Oh I guess I should say i've been a welder for 9+ yrs. Steel, Aluminum, Armor plate. (Yes I'm military as well.)

Good luck with welding if a great past time.
Mike
Oh BryGuy. Not many Newfies on here. Good to see another one!!! I grew up in St. John's.

Quick Reply: Welding experts???