Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Welding on a Dana 44 axle.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkman77
axel tube is about 3/8'' thick. and if not carefull you can burn through it.
beat me to it. im mainly stick welding with alittle MIG and TIG. you can def burn through the tube if not careful. im not sure if most ppl understand the potential of a stick welder. MIG is not as hot as stick or TIG.

lik you were saying keep the amps low and well......your a welder. everything else is self explanitory.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkman77
axel tube is about 3/8'' thick. and if not carefull you can burn through it.
My mistake. It IS 3/8. Duh
Old 10-24-2009, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greenmachine07
beat me to it. im mainly stick welding with alittle MIG and TIG. you can def burn through the tube if not careful. im not sure if most ppl understand the potential of a stick welder. MIG is not as hot as stick or TIG.

lik you were saying keep the amps low and well......your a welder. everything else is self explanitory.
"the hotter the better" is a very old school way of teaching. But just because it isn't true doesn't mean the opposite is. That statement has some backing. You are much more prone to weld faults welding cold rather than hot, cold lapping and lack of fusion being the main ones. So most welders suggest welding hotter simply because there's less chance of an inexperienced person screwing it up. Rather, if they screw it up they'll know right away(burn through, undercut) as apposed to a cold weld done wrong will often appear fine to an inexperienced welder and could break going down the road.

Also a little pre/post heat would be a good idea since axles have a higher carbon content then the mild steel brackets/gussets people are welding to them...

If your unsure about your welding skills, it's probably worth it to get a professional to weld it for you. Its not only a matter of your safety, but everyone else on the road with you. Not to mention the peace of mind.

If you have any welding questions feel free to PM me...
Old 10-25-2009, 09:42 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s1edneck700
and probably rip out the front driveshaft and shocks, but hey...i've never heard about someone doing it yet!
No comment.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:15 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Muddy_Rubicon
"the hotter the better" is a very old school way of teaching. But just because it isn't true doesn't mean the opposite is. That statement has some backing. You are much more prone to weld faults welding cold rather than hot, cold lapping and lack of fusion being the main ones. So most welders suggest welding hotter simply because there's less chance of an inexperienced person screwing it up. Rather, if they screw it up they'll know right away(burn through, undercut) as apposed to a cold weld done wrong will often appear fine to an inexperienced welder and could break going down the road.

Also a little pre/post heat would be a good idea since axles have a higher carbon content then the mild steel brackets/gussets people are welding to them...

If your unsure about your welding skills, it's probably worth it to get a professional to weld it for you. Its not only a matter of your safety, but everyone else on the road with you. Not to mention the peace of mind.

If you have any welding questions feel free to PM me...
if he is removing the axle then some heat wont be a bad thing but under load to much heat could cause the tubes to warp.

but i think he understands penetration and if he knows the thickness can formulate how hot he wants to run his bead........not trying to start anything
just trying to back my statement

Quick Reply: Welding on a Dana 44 axle.