Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Welders...

Old 04-21-2009, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So unless your willing to spend 500-600 hundred on a welder, your better off letting a shop do your welding? I too was thinking of purchasing a lincoln weld pack 100 from home depot. But after reading everyones posts I'm guessing I would be off saving my money. Any input?
Old 04-22-2009, 02:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

bump bump bump
Old 04-22-2009, 03:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What are you afraid of with a 220 welder? Using more electricity? It is entirely possible you will end up using more with a 110 welder if you are going to be welding thicker materials, as the welder will constantly be at the ragged edge of it's duty cycle. Like she said last night....it's all about penetration. You want the best penetration with ONE pass. That makes a stronger weld. Multiple passes might get the job done, but that's nowhere near as strong as one good deep bead. When you're talking about material above 3/16", a 220 welder is the only way to go.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

What about these field expedient welders using DC voltage and welding rods. Any info on that?

I would never weld enough to fork out 600 bucks, but as a weekend hobby, and building a skill for trail fixes - this seems to be the way to go.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheMist
What about these field expedient welders using DC voltage and welding rods. Any info on that?

I would never weld enough to fork out 600 bucks, but as a weekend hobby, and building a skill for trail fixes - this seems to be the way to go.
You mean like a Ready Welder that mounts under the hood? I've never used one.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
You mean like a Ready Welder that mounts under the hood? I've never used one.
No, I mean really a couple of batteries in series:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri....shtml#Welding

Edit: Found another writeup for emergency welding:
http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu/minutemods/welder/

Last edited by InTheMist; 04-22-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my opinion, and I am a DIY kind of guy.. Id hire someone that has a welder and the know how to properly weld it for you.

They dont usually charge much, and it should come out great.

I was going to purchase a welder, but decided against it because the $ investment to buy the right equipment is way more $ than what I would pay to hop the appropriate shop do it for me, plus there welds will be much better than mine.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

Yeah, taking it to a shop makes alot of sense and you can likely count on their quality, plus it'll be hands down cheaper than welding it yourself. On the other hand, welders don't lose much value over time. You could pick one up used and have some fun putting metal together and learning how to weld. Myself, I wanted a welder since I was kid and finally have quenched my welding thirst. The best thing about it, is that you leave all the hem and hawing about track bar brackets and whether they're strong enough. Instead you just get under there and start welding and having a good time.

Don't have time or the inclination, craiglist will solve that in 3 days.

I welded these mt logan "C"s on the other weekend.

I also installed the axle sleeves. Fun times
Old 05-05-2009, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

I bought a welder last week just for this job, and I, like you have always wanted one. Finally got it. Lincoln Mig Pak 180. 220V welder. Ran some practice beads and it works great. Can't wait to get some time so I can install my EVO sleeves and gussets. Really looking forward to it.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Awesome!! I think the world is a better place with more welders in it

Less whining about broken parts

Quick Reply: Welders...