Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Welder question

Old 12-07-2008, 07:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 180 is a nice machine but I beleive you could use the 140 and be pleased from what I understand. I talked to a few guy's in my club that fab and they say the 140 is a great little machine. 180 is very nice but your not welding 1/4" steel very often.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK_JOE
I have this same welder, it's more of a welder than I need. You may want to get another mask / shield that is not hand held, they are a pain. Also a grinder to clean up your welds before anyone sees them, at least until you get better at it .
Never grind a weld unless you're taking it apart. (or it is in a spot where no load will happen)
Old 12-07-2008, 10:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by juicehammer
I have one of the higher end ones from Lincoln they are great. the major differences are how thick they can weld and duty cycle. the duty cycle is how much you can use it in an hour. I don't know what the duty cycle is on that welder. to clarify lets say it says it has a 30% duty cycle, you can use it for 30% of that hour (15-20 min straight) . At least that is how I understand it. so if you don't plan on doing a lot of thick welding at on time it should be a good unit. I went with the better unit because I was building an external cage on my cherokee and knew I would be welding a lot of thick steel for extended periods of time. we also built a rock buggy with it. If I had not been doing two big projects I would have gotten one like the one you are looking at. My friend used one like that to weld his spider gears in his dana 35 with 35" tires and never broke a weld. I hope that helps you make a decision.

Close, the logic is right but detail is off.

Duty cycle is based on a ten minute time-length. So a 60% at a given setting (common rating used) would be 6 minutes TOTAL out of a 10 minute time-length. Many advanced welding units will shut-down to exceed overheating based damage, older or simpler units may simply overheat or keep pumpin' out the amps until they simply die or blow a breaker. If you were running the welder at a lower amperage output then that duty cycle will be longer out of ten minutes, and of course opposite if you crank it higher.

For most MIG usage, unless you try and weld something heavier than the machine is ideally designed for, you'll likely not exceed the duty cycle as you're likely doing light fab with small fillets, or short welds and many little breaks inbetween. If you're doing TIG welding it can become more of an issue if you have a small machine as the welding process is slower, all depends.

Also, thickness of material ratings tend to be based on a "no-prep" style weld, like a 90 degree fillet. If you groove out the material you can get appropriate penetration with proper technique but compensations for warping and deformation might have to be taken, and internal stresses will be higher than if you used a faster and "bigger" fill process like metal-core, flux-core or a bigger machine with heavier gauge filler wire.

MIG is an awesome process though, it'll weld dirtier steel than many other wires, better "position" welding, easier to learn, less smoke, easier to see as no flux, can often "burn-out" light porosity and very consistent. And like others have said above, you'll be surprised what a small MIG can pull off. Lincoln Electric makes good units, especially the smaller ones when compared to the competition. My favorite for TIG is ESAB, but that's just my preference there. Run a high Argon shielding gas with MIG and you almost can't go wrong.

Guess that's my rant.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Welder info

Also, it's Miller's site, but has an AMAZING amount of good info in here for new welder, or really as a refresher to anything you might have forgotten over the years. Info on settings, diagrams, weld-prep, technique, even videos.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/improving-your-skills/

Last edited by wayoflifette; 12-08-2008 at 07:46 AM. Reason: edited direct link
Old 12-08-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

Guys, thanks for your replies. Lot's of good info here. I think I may go and grab that one while it's on sale. I haven't read a bad thing about it yet. Good sign.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

sn4cktime thanks for clarifying. someone explained duty cycle to me when I was looking for my welder and apparently they explained it to me wrong. I was not sure I was explaining it right, and apparently I was a little off. that's why I love this sight I'm learning so much useful information.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Like I said, you had the logic all right with percentages and stuff, just off on the time period and continuous thing.

But no prob man. Just like to be helpful on thing I actually know... the few things I actually do know...
Old 12-11-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a Fire Powe 235 AC. Great welder. Sucker weighs 100lbs but it is a good one.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Not a lincoln but I'll tell you the millermatic 252 is one hell of a nice machine.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:43 PM
JK Freak

After using a campbell hausfield mig/flux core welder (the farmhand model sold at tractor supply) for a year or two and not being too impressed, it finally died yesterday and i replaced it with a lincoln electric AC 225 and man is it awesome!!! i'm building a plow mount right now and it welds 1/2" steel like its nothing. for the stuff i do that needs strong welds that don't have to look perfect, its the perfect machine... and being a stick/arc welder there's less pieces to maintain/replace. either way, the moral of my story is, lincoln makes good stuff. that Campbell Hausfield one i had barely ever got used, and when it did it was small projects and its dead as a doornail, but the lincoln has been running all day today and welding like a champ, so i say go for it.

Quick Reply: Welder question