Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Which Welder to Buy???

Old 09-11-2010, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Welder to Buy???

Need some help from experts. I need to purchase a welder for a few small projects, such as welding on my steel trailer and also have the potential to weld on the aluminum trailer so it has to be a MIG.

My dilemma, I don't have a need to weld more than once or twice every year so I don't want to spend a grand on a solid machine and I don't want a cheap 110 either.

I was reading reviews on the Ready Welder and it sounds great, but is it really? Can anyone give real testimony on this welder and if it can actually be used in a garage environment with a couple of batteries, or is it strictly good for trail repairs. The way I see it, it's cheap and doesn't take up much room but does the job when needed.

Any advice would be great, thanks.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jmducha
Need some help from experts. I need to purchase a welder for a few small projects, such as welding on my steel trailer and also have the potential to weld on the aluminum trailer so it has to be a MIG.

My dilemma, I don't have a need to weld more than once or twice every year so I don't want to spend a grand on a solid machine and I don't want a cheap 110 either.

I was reading reviews on the Ready Welder and it sounds great, but is it really? Can anyone give real testimony on this welder and if it can actually be used in a garage environment with a couple of batteries, or is it strictly good for trail repairs. The way I see it, it's cheap and doesn't take up much room but does the job when needed.

Any advice would be great, thanks.
Hobart 187, great little machine at a great price.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lincoln, Hobart or Miller. Can't go wrong with any of those 3. Do a CL search and find someone selling theirs for cheap. I bought a $430 Lincoln AC Buzzbox for $150 this way.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know you said your not really looking at a 110 welder but Hobart also makes the Trek 180. It has lead acids in it for the trail but can be ran on 110 in the shop. it can be ran flux core or shielded gas.

I personally have a Hobart 140 and like it. If I was going to spend any more money I would get a Tig
Old 09-20-2010, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hobart makes a good machine. I have the 230 v unit. My neighbor has the Lincoln 110 v unit. After comparing both side by side, we both agreed the Lincoln 110v unit does not weld 1/8 or thicker nearly as well as my Hobart 230v model. With welders, you can always turn down the larger welder, but you can't always get enough power out of the smaller model.

As suggested, browse Craig's List. There are some incredible deals out there for welders and plasma cutters. Be picky and be patient.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

Good advice, thanks.

Quick Reply: Which Welder to Buy???