Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Welcome back, Snow.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Wes
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welcome back, Snow.

With light flurries falling on my way home from work last night, I shook it off and went for my slumber. I awoke to find a nice dusting had fallen. Took these pictures on the way to my 9:30 class this morning. It's not that much, but just remember it's October 29th, and mountains or no mountains, I'm still in North Carolina.

Looks like this winter is going to be a good one

Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In NC you need four wheel drive for that?

You could never make it up north
Old 10-28-2008, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a start,awesome I can't wait to get our fare share
We here will get about 12" of white fun.
It's fun driving around the cars on hills
Old 10-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Wes
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Littlejon
In NC you need four wheel drive for that?

You could never make it up north
No salt+curvy hilly back road = Better safe then sorry. And honestly, do I really need an excuse to put it in 4wd?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how come you have the (!) ? i love the snow i can't wait.
and how do you terra grapplers do in the snow?

EDIT:
just got some snow today here too

Last edited by Yamaha90; 10-29-2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: added a pic
Old 10-28-2008, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I too would like to hear how the tires do in the snow. I'm coming up on my first snow season with my micky's
Old 10-28-2008, 11:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wes
No salt+curvy hilly back road = Better safe then sorry. And honestly, do I really need an excuse to put it in 4wd?
Well yes you do need an excuse for H4 because you can do a lot off damage to your JK if the snow isn't deep!

When a part-time 4WD (without a centre differential) is in 4WD an attempts to corner on bitumen, all wheels need to rotate at different speeds, but without a centre differential they cannot. This creates the phenomena called "axle windup" or "transmission windup". High strain is placed on the drive shafts and transmission, eventually causing one of two things to happen. Either one of the wheels slips or spins to overcome the stress or the drive-shaft/transmission BREAKS. This is why part time 4WD’s should never select 4WD on bitumen.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:18 AM
JK Jedi

Not seeing anything yet outside my window, but the news is saying some areas got around 5". That time of year.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:20 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Sim79
Well yes you do need an excuse for H4 because you can do a lot off damage to your JK if the snow isn't deep!

When a part-time 4WD (without a centre differential) is in 4WD an attempts to corner on bitumen, all wheels need to rotate at different speeds, but without a centre differential they cannot. This creates the phenomena called "axle windup" or "transmission windup". High strain is placed on the drive shafts and transmission, eventually causing one of two things to happen. Either one of the wheels slips or spins to overcome the stress or the drive-shaft/transmission BREAKS. This is why part time 4WD’s should never select 4WD on bitumen.
Looking at those road conditions he should be ok, as long as he's not noticing binding while driving/turning then no worries.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:33 AM
Wes
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sim79

Didn't know it was that big of deal. I mean, I'm not one to dog my vehicle, Just trying to be safe

As for the (!) and the Terra Grapplers. The (!) is on because my tire pressure drops when it's cold out. I hadn't had the opportunity to bump up to 35psi yet. I like to run at 32psi, but with the cold the Jeep doesn't like it. As for the Nitto's, so far so good. But as you can see, this isn't much snow so will have to wait on the real test I suppose.

Quick Reply: Welcome back, Snow.