Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

We don't need no stinkin lockers!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wood82ABN
Not really sure if this is "cool" enough to be on here since I am a complete noob but...

Last winter my wife and I were cruising the jeep around through the snow. I went into a ditch that was way deeper than I thought. Anyways, wheels started spinning and I was stuck. I thought to myself, well I have a rubi I will just drop it in 4lo and power right through this... *wrong* wheels kept spinning. I went to the next step, turned on the locker and slowly but surely powered right out of the snow filled ditch.

Probably not as cool as other stories but with a flick of a switch... I was out of the snow. The 4lo alone did not do it for me in this situation.
Really good example!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKCloak
Lockers wouldn't have helped him that much, he was high centered on a large mound
X2, but it was funny as hell at the end.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In many situations where lockers aren't NECESSARY, its still good to use them because it causes less wear and tear on your vehicle.

That said, I'm very content with the way the BLD and Limited slip work together, and I think I will probably opt for Tru Track's on down the road.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:30 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
Plus, were you there when this stock Sport made it thru Cliffhanger?
Like I said before, if you really think you don't need lockers, all I can say is that you've never been on a trail that demands it. Unless you take on the optional harder lines, Cliffhanger doesn't.

Originally Posted by MrDillClinton
In many situations where lockers aren't NECESSARY, its still good to use them because it causes less wear and tear on your vehicle.
Agreed. While you can get a Jeep without any lockers up a tough obstacle, the amount of effort required to do it often times results in unnecessary breaks. But hey, that's just what I've seen.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by FeatherHorse
Doesn't the ESP turn off in 4Low ? Or does it retain the brake locking function in low with the rest of the ESP features off ?

I have not crawled my jeep yet, but i did put it in low just putting around the farm.
You're correct in that ESP is off in 4 low. BLD is always on.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:25 PM
JK Freak

I think we ALL agree that a stock jeep is an amazing vehicle.....

However....lockers make it that much more amazing.

I think we've beaten this horse to death. Hugs!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Personally, I have a Sahara.....sure you have to pick the right line...but in my experience ...even though I have LSD....you still have to be heavier on the skinny pedal than someone that has lockers.

When you are heavier on the skinny pedal you are more prone to breaking things! My JK is very capable....but lockers will be one of my mods down the road.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tslewisz

You're correct in that ESP is off in 4 low. BLD is always on.
I believe it just depends on the year of your JK. For me to completely turn off ESP I have to hold my ESP button down for 5 seconds. I plan on flashing the computer soon so I can do the little dance with the steering wheel so I can turn it off in 2wd also. But BLD is always on, as it should be and works awesome in snow and mud. As for rock crawling, it is as it says CRAWLING. Anyone can mash there foot to get up, over and through something. The fun for me is slow, wheel chirping, who picked the best line rock CRAWLING. And for that, you need lockers!

My question is I'm putting gears in my newest JK and all I've ever used are E-Lockers. Are mechanical lockers ok for a daily driver or are they to hard on the tires? And are they good for front and rear or just one? Or should I just save up for selectable lockers since its a daily driver? Just knowing I can save some coin on lockers and since they're gearing it I'd save on labor to, the mechanicals are tempting!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
well IMHO i feel lockers are a waste of money, unless you plan to run 40s on buggy trails all the time. Most of us prob dont live close enuff to any buggy trails to make the investment worthwhile. i will never have a buggy jeep, i just want a jeep i have been to moab a couple of times now in my sahara and ran plenty of so called "hardcore" trails. about the only time i ever thought maybe i'd like some lockers is when trying to climb a ledge with my lil 32's but i still got through. i am never heavy on the gas and all i can say is its all about tire placement. like i always tell all the jeepers out at moab (or anywhere else) when their jaws drop and they say "how the heck did ya get up here?" (for some reason ppl think you neeeeeed 35s ) i say "either you have the skills to get up here or you dont" they usually agree and nod.
I think it's a personal thing. It all depends on how you use your rig. Me personally, I wheel a lot alone and to have the added security of lockers and a winch and other necessary recovery tools is a piece of mind and a money saver if I ever get stuck and have to pay some wrecker to get me out. Plus the down time and possible security risk of leaving my jeep out in the woods over night. I bought a sport with the intentions of adding arb lockers to it. Others that don't think they need lockers probably don't. Let's face it they are expensive and not always necessary for every person.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
well IMHO i feel lockers are a waste of money, unless you plan to run 40s on buggy trails all the time. Most of us prob dont live close enuff to any buggy trails to make the investment worthwhile. i will never have a buggy jeep, i just want a jeep i have been to moab a couple of times now in my sahara and ran plenty of so called "hardcore" trails. about the only time i ever thought maybe i'd like some lockers is when trying to climb a ledge with my lil 32's but i still got through. i am never heavy on the gas and all i can say is its all about tire placement. like i always tell all the jeepers out at moab (or anywhere else) when their jaws drop and they say "how the heck did ya get up here?" (for some reason ppl think you neeeeeed 35s ) i say "either you have the skills to get up here or you dont" they usually agree and nod.

Quick Reply: We don't need no stinkin lockers!