Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

We don't need no stinkin lockers!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lockers.... are NOT over rated - YouTube

i always think of this guy when i hear topics about lockers vs no lockers. just wait for it at the end
Old 04-30-2012, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

didn't look like 4lo. If it was he should just paddle through, not honk on the gas...... I do wish I had a rear locker but so far never needed yet ....
Old 04-30-2012, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Doesn't the ESP turn off in 4Low ? Or does it retain the brake locking function in low with the rest of the ESP features off ?

I have not crawled my jeep yet, but i did put it in low just putting around the farm.

Last edited by FeatherHorse; 04-30-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moe.JKU
Lockers.... are NOT over rated - YouTube

i always think of this guy when i hear topics about lockers vs no lockers. just wait for it at the end
Lockers wouldn't have helped him that much, he was high centered on a large mound
Old 04-30-2012, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

I never had lockers before my '11 Rubi, but I can say they are great. I've done more difficult trails than I ever did before. I think knowing I have the lockers gives me the confidence to try more difficult trails. I've used them several times, and it's made it easy to crawl right up some things that required more speed in my previous Jeeps. I figure being able to crawl up slowly makes it less likely to break things. And since my better half and I have always traveled solo, lockers make us feel more at ease about it.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Part of my thread was in jest anyway. I'm not dumb. I know what a fully spooled axle is and the advantages of both wheels turning together.

But having said that, for most Jeepers, you can go anywhere and do anything with zero mods. I've seen it over and over again. And lamented at least half my mods as a result
Old 04-30-2012, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

From my experience lockers really help to overcome gravity. Hill climbs, getting up and over ledges and steps, etc. Also lockers diminish the need to use a lot of skinny pedal.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wheel my 2012 with guys who are locked up front/rear and they are often blown away at how well my open diffs handle...4Lo, a long wheel base, and working gas/brake nice and slow can do wonders...Still can't wait till I can afford some ARBs though
Old 05-01-2012, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Haha ... I love lockers as much as the next Guy. And an experienced driver can go a lot of the same places that an inexperienced person without lockers. Just know there is a usage. But if you learn to wheel without, you can do some crazy stuff with!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not really sure if this is "cool" enough to be on here since I am a complete noob but...

Last winter my wife and I were cruising the jeep around through the snow. I went into a ditch that was way deeper than I thought. Anyways, wheels started spinning and I was stuck. I thought to myself, well I have a rubi I will just drop it in 4lo and power right through this... *wrong* wheels kept spinning. I went to the next step, turned on the locker and slowly but surely powered right out of the snow filled ditch.

Probably not as cool as other stories but with a flick of a switch... I was out of the snow. The 4lo alone did not do it for me in this situation.

Quick Reply: We don't need no stinkin lockers!