Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

We don't need no stinkin lockers!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We don't need no stinkin lockers!

So I tagged along with two frineds to an impromptu shake down run at Bundy Hill, a local ORV park, last Sunday. One of my friends, Jeremy had a Sahara.

Aside from some high centering by Jeremy because of his stock setup, the dude made it thru everything on a stock Sahara.

The part that really blew me away was when he was climbing thru a rock course and there were several times he had one tire completely off the ground. I was spotting for him so I witnessed the stock Brake Locking Differential system working. Holy cow. I though he had lockers. He'd have one tire spinning, the other dead, then 2 seconds later the BLD kicks in and the grounded tire begins to spin and chirp like a locked diff and before you knew it he was moving along again.

I was observing his front tires mostly. Just a factory stock open diff. It acted like someone turning on a locker: tire in the air slips, tire on the ground dead, pause, tire on the ground chirps, spins, grabs and pulls. You could tell it's the BLD. The tire on the ground pulsed like it was reacting to a ABS system, which is what the BLD is based on. I was very impressed. And wondering why I dropped $1k on my locker/LSD combo.

I guess 90% of it is picking a good line and knowing your rig. Stock rigs make it in Moab and other areas as long as they have good pilots. See the blog below...

h t t p://blog.jeep.com/2012/04/19/how-...r2012Facebook3

Last edited by ChryslerChris; 04-30-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the esp system is really nice and does pretty well on a lot of terrain but, if you really think you don't need lockers, well, all i can say is that you've never been on a trail that demands it.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Poughkeepsie Gulch, Gemini Bridges, Poison Spider, Klondike Bluffs, Fins-n-Things, Steel Bender, Sevenmile Rim, Metal Masher, Hell's Revenge and LOCKER FREE since 08'.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:49 AM
JK Freak

on a Sahara...LSD and the BLD work fine. I have one. But to WOL point...if you get into hardcore terrain...only a locker will do. I have no intention of locking my front D30 so i will most likely just lock the rear D44 and keep it at that. That way i do not break anything int he front end because I did not start with a D44.

But yes....stock JKs especially the new 2012s are amazing!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
the esp system is really nice and does pretty well on a lot of terrain but, if you really think you don't need lockers, well, all i can say is that you've never been on a trail that demands it.
I agree. Many times on our runs the open diff rigs will need a tug or winch where the guys with lockers have no problem.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
For most of the members here, lockers are probably not needed.

Plus, were you there when this stock Sport made it thru Cliffhanger?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Its amazing how far off road a stock Jeep can go. Ive been in some deep mud and on some pretty ugly trails but I will most likely never use my Rubi lockers, I just didnt get it for those kinds of outings. Its nice knowing I have them though, just incase. I think a stock X/sport and some good tires is an awesome 4X4. Just add some lights. I always ride out when camping to get pizza and Ill tell you what, the woods in the mountains are dark with just the stock headlights.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Biggy
I agree. Many times on our runs the open diff rigs will need a tug or winch where the guys with lockers have no problem.
They probably just picked a bad line. I can still get stuck with my front Aussie locker and rear Truetrac. All I have to do is think I'm invincible.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris

They probably just picked a bad line. I can still get stuck with my front Aussie locker and rear Truetrac. All I have to do is think I'm invincible.
Sometimes there is only one line Plus when you start beating on your jeep trying to get up or over something is when you start breaking things.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Some say 'oh you need a locker for that trail ' , I just say I have one lol....I'm also the guy with the winch ...snow is the worst, been stuck a couple times in only 2 ft of it

Quick Reply: We don't need no stinkin lockers!