Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Walmart Masterbuilt Hitch Basket Installed

Old 06-28-2010, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Walmart Masterbuilt Hitch Basket Installed

Picked up a Masterbuilt Hitch-Haul hitch mounted cargo carrier basket. 60"x20" with 2" receiver mount. I had trouble finding good pictures of it mounted on a Jeep, so I am posting these up to help anyone else out who might want to get this rack or something similiar.

I picked it up a Walmart for $59.99 + tax, I found similiar ones online for $80-$90 + shipping, so I figured this was a deal! It is made in China unfortunately as most Walmart vehicle products are, but this looks very similair to other ones being sold under other names (Valley) so I assume these are all built in China at the same plant. Anyway out of 3 Walmarts 2 were sold out, this one appeared to be opened but wasnt used, I took it out in the store and made sure it had all the parts, there should be 3 long, 4 medium and 4 short bolts along with main metal parts that bolt together. No hitch pin was included with mine but I picked one up for $3.

It appears to be decent quality, claims it can carry 500 lbs, I mounted it onto my hitch and sat on the far end to test it out and it flexed a little but held fine. It really does need to be loaded evenly to sit properly. It does wobble a little with a standard hitch pin, I may put in a tighter fiting locking hitch bolt to eliminate the wobbling.

I am hoping to load this up with coolers and camping supplies, it has some holes for ratchet straps which is useful. There are no reflectors on this, but Walmart also sells some reflective tape which I may pickup for safety.

Overall, it sits where I want it, but when I load it up I am sure the rear gate will not be able to swing open. Unloaded the gate opens fine. With the Mopar hitch it sits level with the rear bumper, The rear tire is a 295/75/16 which does intrude on some of the storage space but this is expected with a higher mounted cargo carrier. I wanted to be able to use this on the beach offroad if need be and not drag along.

Click image for larger version

Name:	side..jpg
Views:	859
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	74720Click image for larger version

Name:	back..jpg
Views:	676
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	74719
Click image for larger version

Name:	gate..jpg
Views:	527
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	74718Click image for larger version

Name:	gc..jpg
Views:	380
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	74721

Last edited by VINdecent; 06-28-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

looks good man , i have one for when i go fishing on the beach works great
Old 06-28-2010, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Have the exact same one. Bought 2 years ago and still is MINT. Carries 2 full coolers, camping gear, etc. with no issues. When I went to the carrier and 35s, had to make an 8" extension for it so it'll clear the tire. It's great for the money.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good, I may have to get this. I was planing on ordering the smittybuilt reciever and have this before my FL trip....
Old 06-28-2010, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That could come in real handy.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would get some duplicolor bedliner and spray her down. I imagine it wont take long to rust.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

500 may be a bit of a push, especially considering the 300 pound tongue weight limit. This was the most I ever used mine for, Picked up this non running vespa for a song, It weighs in right around 300 pounds. I ran extra straps from the cargo rack to the roll cage to take off some of the weight, It wasn't the best idea but it worked.

Quick Reply: Walmart Masterbuilt Hitch Basket Installed