Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Vvt hemi

Old 08-30-2010, 09:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vvt hemi

I'm ready to install a VVt, but I am very concerned with the overheating issues that the Hemi conversions are having! Can someone please chime in with facts?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:34 PM
JK Freak

Come on, no one?

I have read thread after thread of people experiencing overheating issues, so has anyone figured out the fix?

I don't want to drop the cash if I cannot feel confident in driving without an issue.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have VVT hemi but regular hemi and have had no cooling problems at all.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

I have the 6.1L hemi and have no problems with overheating. I’ve had it for two years and put over 25,000 miles on it. We just when though a crazy hot August with way too many days in the mid 90’s. No overheating. I think the guys that were having problems with this are driving at altitudes like Colorado.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:12 PM
JK Freak

Interesting, so not everyone is having overheating issues? I have heard that this was a big problem.. I guess this must have started from people that "don't" have a Hemi?

Anyhow, thanks for the replies. I will continue to research this before I do the swap.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:21 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a Hemi and it does not have any issues with over heating. Hemis do run Hot though. Mine pretty much stays at 205. Might get up to 235 or so, but that is normal. And 205 is right in the middle of where the Hemi should run at under normal driving conditions. Max temp for the 5.7L is 260.

I did put a TMD hood on for my trip out west just in case. With the TMD I never saw above 225. It was nice and cool out there though. I'm still glad I got the Hood though.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Your best bet is to go right to the guy's that install them. But for 20k I would really be pissed if it over heated.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 AM
JK Freak

Thanks guy's I appreciate the input.. I have spoken with several people about this issue and it does exist. I am glad to hear that not everyone is experiancing this though.

Maybe with my fenderwells removed it will not be an issue.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by You Jeep
I'm ready to install a VVt, but I am very concerned with the overheating issues that the Hemi conversions are having! Can someone please chime in with facts?
There are a bunch of us out and about with heat issues. Mostly the issue shows up on long steep grades at hiway speeds. No issue on trails. So not too surprising some people don't see it.

Both BOR and AEV conversions get it. One buddy I have with a BOR kit got his under control by going to a bigger radiator from BOR, putting a 180 thermo in; and 25:75 coolant to water.

A lot of the issue appears to be related to wieght. My rig is 6800lbs without my fat ass in it. Well over 7000 with me. I have heat issues. I used an AEV kit. Now I have BOR radiator (bigger than AEV), 6.1 injectors with BOR programming (my milage went up, shifts my auto easier), relocated the tranny cooler, 25:75 coolant to water. I have a powerplant in the front that needs to be relocated still (moved down between the frame rails in a custom bumper).

Now I only have issues on the longest of grades. I'll get it eliminated completely, though.

Things that don't matter: whether the wheel well liners are in or out; AEV hood;

I've talked to a couple guys in CA, one in TX, one in AZ, and 6 in CO all with various forms of heat issues. Same basic sypmtom: excess heat going up grades at highway speed. The fundamental issue is radiator capacity. All the other things can contribute: engine compartment temp, excess tranny temp, air flow over the radiator.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:43 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for your input lefthand, this is exactly what I have been hearing. It does seem to all point to radiator capacity, although, I still wonder if there are issues with the computer programming?

Quick Reply: Vvt hemi