Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Viper V10 8.3L in a JK?

Old 12-31-2008, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benmar2000
Forget the Viper motor.... I want one of these in my JK..

The Mopar 540 Aluminum Hemi� Crate Engine is built for extreme Hot Rods and Pro Street cars. This is for the person who wants the horsepower and durability of a race engine and the drivability of a street engine. Available in carbureted or supercharged EFI versions, it can produce up to 900+ horsepower, depending on induction. This Hemi is a fully water-jacketed motor with a streetable camshaft, and it's made with an all aluminum block that's stronger and lighter than cast iron. The 540 Hemi will also be available in a completely polished version for the extreme show car enthusiast.

Dumb (depending on how much $ you are willing to spend haha).. You can always swap the V10 then sender over to John Hennessey for a little tweak haha. Then you will have the fastest jeep. period. Just depends on how much money your willing to put into one of these things.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:28 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by atomicmecha

Be nice if it could link up to the standard 6 speed already in jeeps but I don't know if they are compatible.
Even if it bolted up it would never handle the torqe, the standard 6 speed can't even handle the full torque of the 2.8 diesel.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:34 AM
JK Freak

I've had a Viper for a long time and I have to say that NOTHING I've ever owned compares to the reaction people have to a Viper. Mine was a SCCA regional pace car for 3 years and was slightly modified by the Shelby facility in Las Vegas, certified and signed by Carroll Shelby himself. Even with a mild tune, I managed to blow out the original Dana 44 (since upgraded to a Super 44) and twist the driver's side half shaft almost 360 degrees the first time I got it to hook up really well at the drag strip.

As far as the original poster's question goes, the Viper powertrain is fairly readily found in the Dodge Pickup which, I would think, would make a good starting point considering the Viper V10 was offered with an automatic in the truck as well as a manual. The easiest conversion would be to graft the JK body onto a shortened truck frame and then do a 4x4 conversion. Something similar was done a few years ago by one of the Petersen magazines when they built an JK Unlimited with a Cummins. I followed the build up in the magazine and the end result seemed to be an expensive morph.

I agree with the general consensus of this thread that the Hemi would not only be a better fit, but be a whole lot less expensive in the end and much more useable on the trail.

-meljr
Old 01-01-2009, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey meljr - Can I borrow that to cruise the local community college and pick up young girls.. Oh wait.. I need a vette not a viper.. J/K
You would need a Prius or an old beat up VW bus in my area...
Old 01-01-2009, 08:26 AM
JK Freak

Yeah.. Anymore it is like here..

I will say this.. I used to work with this guy that bought a new 2003 Mustang Cobra.. I parked beside him one day.. While on a smoke break, I asked some of the girls I work with which vehicle did they like better.. The Jeep or the Cobra.. They all liked my old YJ with the top down and doors off.. They said the Mustang made the guy look like he was trying to over compensate for something..
The amount of unsolicited flashing and outright propositions I get when in the Viper is unreal. I've owned two Vetts, a Jensen, a Lotus and several other semi-exotics and nothing compares to the scoring potential of a Viper. Probably the best instance was when a whole van full of some girl's soccer team (including at least 1 mom riding shotgun) flashed me on I5 a few years ago. I was afraid to pull off for gas in case they might discover how inadequate I really am. Now I keep several blue pills in the first aid kit. So far, this hasn't been a problem in the JK.

-meljr
Old 01-01-2009, 08:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by meljr
The amount of unsolicited flashing and outright propositions I get when in the Viper is unreal. I've owned two Vetts, a Jensen, a Lotus and several other semi-exotics and nothing compares to the scoring potential of a Viper. Probably the best instance was when a whole van full of some girl's soccer team (including at least 1 mom riding shotgun) flashed me on I5 a few years ago. I was afraid to pull off for gas in case they might discover how inadequate I really am. Now I keep several blue pills in the first aid kit. So far, this hasn't been a problem in the JK.

-meljr
lol Dodge should quote this story in the literature for the new Vipers. I bet sales would skyrocket. lol
Old 01-01-2009, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The amount of unsolicited flashing and outright propositions I get when in the Viper is unreal.
I'd like to hear more about the "outright propositions".... heh heh

Detailed descriptions would be ok...
Old 01-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hillarious and kind of sad.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
lol Dodge should quote this story in the literature for the new Vipers. I bet sales would skyrocket. lol

I can hear the add now ...... " 525 horses, 550 lb ft of torque , and SCORING potential to boot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and the fuel economy ain't that bad either !! "

Old 01-02-2009, 04:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ben Hedrick
Has anybody ever put a V10 Viper motor in a JK? Is there room? And could the computer be programmed? And what transmission would you use? All good questions, I think...

Here is a V10 8.3L 450HP engine for $6750.00
h ttp://moparproshop.com/inc/sdetail/1897

Something to make you go; hmmmmmmmmm???
sounds like you read that issue of JP magazine

Quick Reply: Viper V10 8.3L in a JK?