Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Vinyl wrapping the JK? (large pic warning)

Old 12-31-2009, 01:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nugganuche
Well to start with youre simply taking it the wrong way. I never wished or hoped for you to fail.

You must understand though, its like any other profession. It takes years and years of training.

What your planning on attempting is not only very difficult but its also giving dillusional hope that its gonna be cheap.

If you really want to try and tackle this I suggest you start off by grabbing a few "how to wrap dvd's" there are quite a few out there.

Then once you start actually applying the film practice on boards in your garage, or items you dont care about.

The last thing you should do is take a knife, torch, and chemicals youre not familiar with to a vehicle you care about.

Also, when researching wraps, be aware that alot of images are photoshopped. Which gives everyday people the illusion that wraps look like paint.

If your planning on performing this wrap and are planning on taking it off in april I wouldnt bother laminating. That is there to protect the vinyl giving it a longer lifespan.

Also, a good installer will use primer before the film is apllied. This is a brush on product that helps activate the adhesive on the vinyl. Its used in areas around deep curves, vents, things like that.

However, its fairly a mess taking it off when you peel your wrap. So, I would just apply the wrap and be done with it knowing its coming off soon anyway.

I also woulod suggest you dont use a torch at all. I would use a heat gun on its low settings. This will help you in protecting your paint and general safety.
Its not as quick as the torch but you will be more comfortable as a beginner.

Also, as for the comments regarding how people should help others, yeah thanks, but Im not knew to jeeps, not the internet. Im on quite a few sites.

Just understand that I wasnt bashing you. The nature of this thread just struck me the wrong way, no hard feeling I hope. Its just like being a dentist and going on a dentist forum and seeing someone post a thread about how "theyre gonna do their own root canal, its only 30 bucks worth of needed items and its gonna be easy"
since you know Jeeps and obviously the JK, what would you charge someone to wrap a JK with a solid single color????? 4dr.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump! JKid you got to do this I think it would be awesome just afraid I wouldn't have the patience!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKid
You all prolly know I'm the super sticker freak here on the forums. show us the stickers
I'm planning on wrapping my Jeep with some Matte vinyl. I took a look at the fender chop thread Eddie posted to see how to remove the fenders and I'll be looking around a bit more for the door handle and hinge removal processes. I figure it's gonna take a weekend to do, so prolly sometime during my Month long Christmas break from School It should go along a lot like painting would. And instead of spending 2 grand on a paint job I can spend $70 on a roll of matte vinyl, $15 on fender clips and take it off after If I don't like it! The vinyl has a 3 year guarantee.

Here's another with black, but everyone does matte black! So I'm thinking more of a dark grey... Like this
From what I remember this one is not vinyl it is all Line-x. Very nice looking and functional! I am sure eventually my jeep will be all bedliner too.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:40 AM
JK Super Freak

any update on this?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

update: still waiting on parents approval. You are now up to date. I have an idea. Send Jkabob private messages informing him on how this would be helpful to see and how its not damaging to the paint, etc. See if thatll shake em.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by dadgummit
From what I remember this one is not vinyl it is all Line-x. Very nice looking and functional! I am sure eventually my jeep will be all bedliner too.
This one is definitely vinyl; there's another thread elsewhere from the owner stating that it's all vinyl with only one seam down the hood and a pretty detailed write-up.

If Line-X could be finer, I'm sure a lot of guys would be spraying their entire tubs inside and out. I think the coarseness makes a less-than-ideal exterior appearance.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nlgrav182
This one is definitely vinyl; there's another thread elsewhere from the owner stating that it's all vinyl with only one seam down the hood and a pretty detailed write-up.

If Line-X could be finer, I'm sure a lot of guys would be spraying their entire tubs inside and out. I think the coarseness makes a less-than-ideal exterior appearance.
Is that on this forum somewhere? If so can u give me an idea how to find it?
Old 02-14-2010, 12:08 AM
JK Newbie

could you wrap and jeep and then clear coat over it, seems like a way to beat the idea of it lifting off the paint plus it would help prtect the wrap from scratchs and stuff
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

My parents initial decision about vinyl wrapping the JK was a no, so now I'm going to wait until they leave for a week to AZ sometime soon. I decided since they said no to heckle them a bit. What else am I supposed to do with 50 yards of it?

Last edited by JKid; 03-15-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Youri
Wouldn't putting this on a fast car slow it down? I imagine the glossy paint has to help out a little bit with aerodynamics! And on a track every millisecond counts!!
a lot of real race cars are rapped my friend...

Quick Reply: Vinyl wrapping the JK? (large pic warning)