Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

a video for anyone who ever doubted the Recon Winch

Old 03-16-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to derail, but isn't it risky to attach to a fixed anchor like that? I always thought that was a good way to tweak the frame. I'm certainly no winch expert though so maybe it's one of the many myths I've learned in my life.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

put me over the edge on buying the recon
Old 03-16-2011, 08:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mskh20
Not trying to derail, but isn't it risky to attach to a fixed anchor like that? I always thought that was a good way to tweak the frame. I'm certainly no winch expert though so maybe it's one of the many myths I've learned in my life.
Anyone else have more info on this? It would be good to know for future reference. I'm leaning towards a Recon as well. Warn would be nice, but outa my price range.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought the Recon came with a wireless remote?
Old 03-17-2011, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Why did you hook the snatch block to a snatch strap?
Old 03-17-2011, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

bump for an awesome winch. I'm super happy with mine as well.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mskh20
Maybe in some situations.. If you can find an example of a truck that was messed up like this, I'd sure be interested to see it...

Here I was tied from the exact center of the hitch (attached to both primary frame rails) and in the front I was pulling from the center of the bumper (mostly) which was also attached to both frame rails.. To tweak the frame would require possibly crushing the front bumper, hitch, and / or breaking welds...

I'm fairly confident that one or several of my links, bolts, etc. would have bent or broken before the frame would bend.

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Why did you hook the snatch block to a snatch strap?
I'm not sure why anyone would do that... I hooked my snatch block up to a recovery strap. A snatch strap has elastic action (note the orange strap I used in the 1st attempt) A recovery strap takes the place of rope / cable.. it has very little give.

I must admit though... I was out of straps, and had to use my snatch strap to tie the jeep to the telephone pole.. I figured that was the safest place for it. I realize it wasn't ideal.... but it was better than a tow truck.

For those about to buy this winch, or any winch.... Remember that it is almost useless without proper recovery gear.. which in this case cost as much as the winch itself.. and I've found that I still need a little more.

I know they make an awesome hood ornament.... but the recovery gear is far more useful than the winch.. get it 1st.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Super Freak

thanks for sharing
Old 03-17-2011, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

Thank you very much for sharing. There a very few videos out there for the recon winch. And this shows a worst case scenario that you could use this winch for. I can't wait to put mine on!
Old 03-17-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by RayHoliO

Maybe in some situations.. If you can find an example of a truck that was messed up like this, I'd sure be interested to see it...

Here I was tied from the exact center of the hitch (attached to both primary frame rails) and in the front I was pulling from the center of the bumper (mostly) which was also attached to both frame rails.. To tweak the frame would require possibly crushing the front bumper, hitch, and / or breaking welds...

I'm fairly confident that one or several of my links, bolts, etc. would have bent or broken before the frame would bend.
Disclaimer- like I said, I'm no expert and your point about the weak link is a good one. I have been told to anchor back to the same point as the winch to reduce the chance of stretching the frame. Like I said though, that was knowledge passed down from others and not based on personal experience so I don't know if stretching can really happen.

Quick Reply: a video for anyone who ever doubted the Recon Winch