Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Used 1/4" Thick High Quality Closed Cell Neoprene sheets to make headliner..50$

Old 02-28-2011, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wangler
I got some 1'x1' peel & stick black carpet tiles from the dollar store. I was going to do the inside of my hard top too. These carpet tiles also serve well as the 'fuzzy' side of Velcro. so you could stick things to the ceiling.
That sounds cool will it still work as insulation? I would still used some type of glue. The sticky stuff will stay but I questioned for how long and how well with high heats. So ended up using a glue with it as well, it cant hurt.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deltaneo1
That sounds cool will it still work as insulation? I would still used some type of glue. The sticky stuff will stay but I questioned for how long and how well with high heats. So ended up using a glue with it as well, it cant hurt.
Not sure - I was only concerned with the sound deadening and the appearance.
These tiles are pretty sticky, but yeah, if the top got very warm I could see them maybe coming unstuck. Glue would help. Or just buy extra tiles and replace them as they peel.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

First off, very nice Jeep, that's the look I'm headed for. Where did you get the black/blue seat covers?

After 30 days already of 100+ degree days this summer I got sick of having my a/c on full blast the whole time I was in it so I started researching this subject. There are a lot of good looking headliner projects on here. I ended up buying some headliner material, several sheets of 1/4 inch styro with an aluminum sheet on one side, a roll of that silver colored insulation that looks like bubble wrap, some 3M double sided automotive tape and a couple cans of 3M spray adhesive. Total bill was about $120. I just did the front panels today and it took about 3 hours, I've never done upholstrey work. At first glance I thought you had done the same thing. Anyway, it came out looking great, now I'll see tomorrow how well... It's supposed to be 102 again!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

And, it's done. I didn't take the initiative to paint the rest black, which I really like, but this will have to do. It seems to be holdng up pretty good so far and has made a huge difference in cooling the interior with the a/c. This has been a record hot summer, we are at 33 days of 100+ temperatures so far, so good timing on the project.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1563.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	188542Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1562.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	188541Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1561.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	188540
Old 08-01-2011, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

Cool ready to do mine right now!!!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Friday2322
And, it's done. I didn't take the initiative to paint the rest black, which I really like, but this will have to do. It seems to be holdng up pretty good so far and has made a huge difference in cooling the interior with the a/c. This has been a record hot summer, we are at 33 days of 100+ temperatures so far, so good timing on the project.Attachment 188542Attachment 188541Attachment 188540

I've left it sitting out several days in the sun to see if it was going to sag or drop... and it's still there just like the day I put it in with no signs of letting go. That 3M automotive adhesive tape is some awesome stuff. I'm really enjoying being able to turn the a/c fan down to low or medium once it cools off inside and being able to maintain that temp. Glad I Spent the money and took the time to do it myself.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Junkie

noted... might make this a Sept project. I can't justify the prices they charge for the liners either.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by deltaneo1
I have been looking at hard top headliners to keep the heat in or the cold in and thought it was crazy to pay $200+ for a kit. So I went on ebay and found 1/4" Thick High Quality Closed Cell Neoprene for a really good price. so I bought 3 sheets for around 50$ with SELF STICK ADHESIVE.

So once it came in I got ready to do the front and thought that the self stick peel back adhesive might not hold for a long time or in high heats. so I got LOCTITE automotive adhesive (clear) to add extra hold. The sheets I got are 36 inches x 42 inches. I placed in a cut/trimmed the peace and once I got it close I began to trim to a good fit. Once done with that I cleaned the area where I was going to put the neoprene on with nail polish remover then cleaned with rubbing alcohol. After it dried I used the LOCTITE adhesive running a border and a S shape on the long parts. Then let sit for 3 min to get the glue tacky. Then placed the neoprene in and let it sit for 30 min in the sun. came back and its stuck on the top hard. The Neoprene in really thick even thought its only a 1/4 thick it is really hard to crush/squeeze. It feels almost like it it rubberized. I still haven't done the rear yet but will let you know how that go's but should be the same.

So anyone looking at a headliner or hothead or what ever company that makes them but don't want to dish out $200+ this is a easy and cheap way to do it.

I will post pics once i go back outside and take them.

also here is the link/seller on ebay that i got the neoprene from. They will work with you on how many sheets you need as well but 3 is what you will need for a 4 door.

ht tp://stores.ebay.com/HarTech-Industries/Neoprene-Products-/_i.html?_fsub=6937254&_sid=429200009&_trksid=p4634 .c0.m322
You did a great job, looks factory!

Last edited by PrimeTime327; 08-11-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AptPupil
i think this is awesome. great work dude.
when i do it, i'm going to make a JK emblem out of hardboard (masonite) about 1/8" thick and put it under this stuff and use a heat gun to melt it around the emblem. then it will look embossed kind of.
thanks for the idea.
Anybody do this? I wanna see a pic!
Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ding ding ding!!!

We have a winner! This will be my solution as well.

Quick Reply: Used 1/4" Thick High Quality Closed Cell Neoprene sheets to make headliner..50$