Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Used 1/4" Thick High Quality Closed Cell Neoprene sheets to make headliner..50$

Old 02-26-2011, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used 1/4" Thick High Quality Closed Cell Neoprene sheets to make headliner..50$

I have been looking at hard top headliners to keep the heat in or the cold in and thought it was crazy to pay $200+ for a kit. So I went on ebay and found 1/4" Thick High Quality Closed Cell Neoprene for a really good price. so I bought 3 sheets for around 50$ with SELF STICK ADHESIVE.

So once it came in I got ready to do the front and thought that the self stick peel back adhesive might not hold for a long time or in high heats. so I got LOCTITE automotive adhesive (clear) to add extra hold. The sheets I got are 36 inches x 42 inches. I placed in a cut/trimmed the peace and once I got it close I began to trim to a good fit. Once done with that I cleaned the area where I was going to put the neoprene on with nail polish remover then cleaned with rubbing alcohol. After it dried I used the LOCTITE adhesive running a border and a S shape on the long parts. Then let sit for 3 min to get the glue tacky. Then placed the neoprene in and let it sit for 30 min in the sun. came back and its stuck on the top hard. The Neoprene in really thick even thought its only a 1/4 thick it is really hard to crush/squeeze. It feels almost like it it rubberized. I still haven't done the rear yet but will let you know how that go's but should be the same.

So anyone looking at a headliner or hothead or what ever company that makes them but don't want to dish out $200+ this is a easy and cheap way to do it.

I will post pics once i go back outside and take them.

also here is the link/seller on ebay that i got the neoprene from. They will work with you on how many sheets you need as well but 3 is what you will need for a 4 door.

ht tp://stores.ebay.com/HarTech-Industries/Neoprene-Products-/_i.html?_fsub=6937254&_sid=429200009&_trksid=p4634 .c0.m322

Last edited by deltaneo1; 02-26-2011 at 06:16 AM. Reason: No non-sponsor links please.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default pics

it looks like cheap foam in the pic here but it is like rubber and hard.

Last edited by deltaneo1; 02-26-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great idea, thanks for posting, might try this for next winter.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just to let people know one sheet did the front (driver and pass side). The sheets are 36 inches x 42 inches.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:12 AM
JK Freak

Looks like a pro did it! Great Good
Old 02-26-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

That really looks nice I'll keep that in mind!!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice! How well does it work insofar as sound deadening and heat reduction?
Old 02-26-2011, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Heat reduction I don't know it is cold here but I could tell that when I turned the heat on it did a lot better of a job keeping the heat in. I could also tell when I put my hand up I didn't feel the cold coming thought the top but when I put my hand up on the rear ones (the ones I haven't done yet) I felt the cold immediately. So it hold the temp in the car or blocks the temp outside really good. I am going to do the rear tomorrow. So I will post pics and tell you guys how it is. Sound??? I really cant tell I only did the front but how dense this stuff is I am sure it will be a lot quieter.

here is the description of the stuff I put on:

THICK NEOPRENE SOUND DEADENING AND HEAT INSULATION MATERIAL. HEAVY DUTY! IS OIL AND WATER RESISTANT. UNLIKE SOME CHEAPER OPEN CELL FOAMS OR RUBBER PRODUCTS, THIS IS HIGH QUALITY CLOSED CELL NEOPRENE AS USED IN MANY INDUSTRIES TO INSULATE AGAINST HEAT AND SOUND. WHILE MANY OPEN CELL PRODUCTS OFFER DECENT INSULATATION, THEIR OPEN CELL STRUCTURE IS NOT NEARLY AS EFFECTIVE FOR BLOCKING SOUND WAVES.

If this helps out any.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also used some around the tailgate where I have the well known water leak in the rear. So I hope it helps it. I used "L" shape pieces around the corners on the top of the actual tailgate where I know the seal is leaking. So might roll to the car wash tomorrow too and see if it stops the leak.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:40 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After 4 years since the JK came out, Jeep still hasn't caught on.... they will stuff a leather interior into a JK but not some cheap insulation into the hardtop. Good work!

Quick Reply: Used 1/4" Thick High Quality Closed Cell Neoprene sheets to make headliner..50$