Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

URGENT HELP D60 Steering

Old 01-29-2009, 10:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default URGENT HELP D60 Steering

Guys really need some good suggestions. The install of the Solid D60 is almost over now the issue is installing steering dampner. The large D60 pumpkin, heavy duty Tie Rod is taking too much space to clear.

Please note its for the right hand drive JK setup. How important is the steering dampner? If I dont install it what are the consequencies, or can i install it a bit further up where you guys have it on the tie rod?

Any expert advise, opinions is really appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2009, 11:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not URGENT at all. You don't need to be in a rush to instal that. As long as the front end is aligned properly, it'll barely be an issue. You can install it anywhere in the steering system between the pitman arm and the knuckles. You can even install it on the draglink to get it up out of the way.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:47 PM
JK Freak

i am at the shop and we are about to weld brackets for the steering components. Hence it is urgent.

So we can install the dampner on any side of the tie rod?
Old 01-30-2009, 03:47 AM
JK Newbie

I agree if you get everything aligned and is set up right,you really don't need it. I spent a lot of time on my steering in TJ with a HP44 and have not run a steering dampner since it was put together 8 years ago and i do drive it a good bit on the road 50,000 miles since steering set up no problem.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:12 AM
JK Freak

Not to speak for Rockstar, but he meant that putting the SS on right now is now is not necessary (urgent). As long as you are properly alligned, everything should be fine.

JD
Old 01-30-2009, 05:03 AM
JK Newbie

I steering stabilizer is a bandage for a existing problem, so if you caster is set right and your toe is set correctly you should be fine without one. If you want to put one on you can weld the bracket to the frame and run the stabilizer on the drag link. There are several different ways. Pics would help
Old 01-30-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Agree with posts above. The jeep needs the alignment to avoid drifting, darty steering and death wobble. A steering stabalizer will help with all of those, but is not a total solution. The alignment will address all of those issues more. The steering stabalizer will help with bump steer but the alignment is more important.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:01 PM
JK Junkie

I have been driving my older Jeep without a steering stablizer for years. Old one got ripped off. Front end is alligned well, so it drives fine. Although when I hit a bump offroad I can feel it a bit more in the steering wheel. And this is with bias ply TSL's.

Quick Reply: URGENT HELP D60 Steering