Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Under hood on board air for $80

Old 03-30-2011, 02:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice setup. I am assuming it the alternative Slime is DC? Also, I am kind of a noob in the air compressor area (among many other things). To follow up on a few questions and more details from above:

Originally Posted by JC4me
Nevermind found it by searching with the right words
Would you mind sharing the links you found most relevant and/or useful?

Follow up questions to that, or maybe preliminary questions for that to even get me started, if you get an air tank and mount it on the sports bar in the rear of the jeep for instance, how does the overall setup work? By that, I mean, do you run a permanent hose from the compressor to the tank, setup a flip switch in the jeep to toggle power, then just use the tank for everything or what?

Also, as Briaros6 above me asked, what's the difference between the Harbor Freight MV50, and the Smittybuilt MV50 other than price?

Another question, what was the brand name from the original posters compressor?

Last edited by Flaxbourton; 03-30-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flaxbourton
Nice setup. I am assuming it the alternative Slime is DC? Also, I am kind of a noob in the air compressor area (among many other things). To follow up on a few questions and more details from above:

Would you mind sharing the links you found most relevant and/or useful?

Follow up questions to that, or maybe preliminary questions for that to even get me started, if you get an air tank and mount it on the sports bar in the rear of the jeep for instance, how does the overall setup work? By that, I mean, do you run a permanent hose from the compressor to the tank, setup a flip switch in the jeep to toggle power, then just use the tank for everything or what?

Also, as Briaros6 above me asked, what's the difference between the Harbor Freight MV50, and the Smittybuilt MV50 other than price?

Another question, what was the brand name from the original posters compressor?
Anyone have any additional info here?
Old 06-11-2011, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Ok so I finally got around to installing the HF compressor and bracket. (Moving tends to put toys on the back burner..)

Here's what we started with:

Here's a pic of where the bracket will end up. This is on the mounting studs, but before I pulled the nuts.

Here's the HF compressor with the base plate removed. I am using the rubber spacers, flathead screws and nylock nuts that came with the compressor. This is the one place I'd probably change. If you get a chance beforehand just buy decent bolts and nylock washers. (or whatever you want) These aren't the best quality and I can see at least one of them rattling loose over time.

Here is the compressor mounted to the bracket.

Compressor and bracket mounted in jeep. I had to very slightly bend the AC hose. It took almost no effort. I didn't see any other interference.

Final pic of the install and wires run across the top of the firewall. For right now I just have the alligator clips stuffed behind the battery. I will pull them out when I need too. I'll probably cut them to size and hard wire them to the battery once I come up with an in-line fuse for the battery end.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sburggsx
Ok so I finally got around to installing the HF compressor and bracket. (Moving tends to put toys on the back burner..)

Here's what we started with:

Here's a pic of where the bracket will end up. This is on the mounting studs, but before I pulled the nuts.

Here's the HF compressor with the base plate removed. I am using the rubber spacers, flathead screws and nylock nuts that came with the compressor. This is the one place I'd probably change. If you get a chance beforehand just buy decent bolts and nylock washers. (or whatever you want) These aren't the best quality and I can see at least one of them rattling loose over time.

Here is the compressor mounted to the bracket.

Compressor and bracket mounted in jeep. I had to very slightly bend the AC hose. It took almost no effort. I didn't see any other interference.

Final pic of the install and wires run across the top of the firewall. For right now I just have the alligator clips stuffed behind the battery. I will pull them out when I need too. I'll probably cut them to size and hard wire them to the battery once I come up with an in-line fuse for the battery end.
Looks great. I have the same compressor and been wanting to mount it for a while. What mounting bracket are you using?
Old 06-11-2011, 12:40 PM
JK Freak

Just an update. Went on a short (5 mile) drive with no problems. Got in the jeep to come home and the brake light lit up. I pulled over and checked the vaccuum hose etc. Everything was fine as I paid special attention to not move anything during the install.

I drove the rest of the way home with brakes so there wasn't a mechanical issue. After I got home I spent some time going over everything I could see. Finally I unplugged and re plugged the wires off the side of the master cyclinder. I also pushed in on the wires themselves and moved the clamp that holds the wires in place. The light went out, but I haven't taken it anywhere yet.

Moral of the story, I think the plug setup is sensitive to moving.

Originally Posted by Croce
Looks great. I have the same compressor and been wanting to mount it for a while. What mounting bracket are you using?
I believe it's the sinister mount. It works great with the only issue being two of the mounting holes being tight enough I had to drill them to get the screws that came with the compressor in. Not a big deal.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Still working through the brake light issue. This morning I played with different things and nothing seemed to clear the light. So I removed the compressor and bracket and moved them to the other side of the jeep, laying the combo on the fuse box.

The light went out.

So I put everything back together again and bang, the light is back. I was leaning toward some type of vaccuum leak but everything is tight. I'm starting to wonder if the magnets in the compressor motor are pulling on the fluid sensor causing the light to go on. I'm about to go out and pull the whole thing out of the jeep to drive around and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Under hood on board air for $80