Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Tuffy JK Security Deck Enclosure? Anyone?

Old 02-20-2010, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed one today and up until the top tray it was a snap. My top tray had some extra piece on the front edge. Appeared to be some aluminum trim piece. I would not allow me to put the top tray in place. There was no way it was going to allow me to close the gate with that thing on. And I could not get the top tray to lay flat and on the tracks. I attempted to remove it but one of the screws was stripped. After some persuasion I got it off and the top fit right on. I then looked at the Tuffy catalog that came with my deck. The picture did not have that trim piece on it. I have no idea why mine did. It doesn't anymore.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey

That is just protective for shipping, you did the right thing taking it off.

On another side note, i just came in and noticed after opening the top of it twice one of the clear rubber that went on the bolts of the top had already torn off. Seems these are not very sturdy and Im gonna have to look for something to replace them with as the rattling starts once they are gone.

Originally Posted by JKChuck
I installed one today and up until the top tray it was a snap. My top tray had some extra piece on the front edge. Appeared to be some aluminum trim piece. I would not allow me to put the top tray in place. There was no way it was going to allow me to close the gate with that thing on. And I could not get the top tray to lay flat and on the tracks. I attempted to remove it but one of the screws was stripped. After some persuasion I got it off and the top fit right on. I then looked at the Tuffy catalog that came with my deck. The picture did not have that trim piece on it. I have no idea why mine did. It doesn't anymore.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

Installed one about 2 weeks ago. Thanks David at Northridge for great deal. Added tie down hooks from local hardware store for $5. Didn't see any pics with softtop down so snapped a couple if anyone interested.. Great product.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tuffy3..jpg
Views:	355
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	64987   Click image for larger version

Name:	tuffy1..jpg
Views:	350
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	64988   Click image for larger version

Name:	tuffy2..jpg
Views:	355
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	64989   Click image for larger version

Name:	tuffy4..jpg
Views:	366
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	64990  
Old 05-04-2010, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

This might seem like a dumb question but what happens if you have your doors on and you lock them. If someone opens up the doors inside of your jeep (if you have auto locks) will the tailgate unlock also? if so would that defeat the whole purpose of having that?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by rokov
This might seem like a dumb question but what happens if you have your doors on and you lock them. If someone opens up the doors inside of your jeep (if you have auto locks) will the tailgate unlock also? if so would that defeat the whole purpose of having that?
The power lock switches are disabled after about 15 seconds when you lock the doors using the key fob. Even if someone reaches in and pushes the unlock switch, the tailgate won't unlock.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:03 AM
JK Freak

I sold my Security Drawer so that I could get this... fantastic product. I don't open and close it that often, so my plastic sleeve over the bolts doesn't get worn out. Even if it does, go to any hardware shop and buy some more, its just clear plastic tubing.

On another note, I got myself a ratchet strap (one that doesn't actually ratchet, but the cheaper one where you pull on the slack end). Anyways, I lay it across the roll cage bar, and hook one end to either side of the top, and it holds it open. (sorry no pic, someone borrowed the strap). I suppose a properly measured 1" webbing with a loop tied on each end would do the same too.

Great investment on it (but I have a 4 door, so I still have my rear seats)
Old 05-18-2010, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default open

Can the top be opened? any pics on how it looks like that?

thanks
Old 05-19-2010, 06:45 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't have a pic, but the top can be opened.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by El Jeepo
Can the top be opened? any pics on how it looks like that?

thanks
Yes. If you go to Tuffy's website, and look at the pictures there, it shows a shot with it lifted open.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-255-1...enclosure.aspx

I believe that when they first created this, they started a thread somewhere on here for ideas and thoughts... its here somewhere in the search function... that thread had lots of pics too.

That being said, it does not stay up on its own. You can put a dowel in the jeep to prop it open, or you can use a piece of webbing. On the occasions I need to prop it open, I wrap a strap (one of those ratchet straps that don't ratchet, just pull and quick release) around the roll cage bar, and hook one end on each side.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the clarification.
I want one now. Any recommendation on where to buy? Was shipping expensive?
Gonna start looking at the sponsor section

Quick Reply: Tuffy JK Security Deck Enclosure? Anyone?