Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

trimmed and cut

Old 09-27-2008, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am really not good at write-ups. I can give a few tips though.
Tools I used:
4" angle grinder with a cut-off wheel
Tape measure
masking tape
medium grit sandpaper
wide metal file
razor knife
2 cans flat black spraypaint
2 packages of blackdoor edge molding
small phillips screw driver
self tapping screws, zipties

Things I would do differently:
Wear a ski mask, because hot flying plastic hurts when it hits your face(multiple times)
I would have trimmed all of the fenders while they were still on the jeep.
I would have kept all the the subframe and liners intact until after making my cuts. Then take it all apart afterwards.

On the rear i basically followed the natural line just were the fender starts to curve down. The rears were the easy ones. Once your cut is made you can just rip out the inner liner. I didnt take any care to save the the clips becasue i knew i wasnt going to reinstall the liners. I then sanded and filed all the endges smooth. A sanding block will keep you edges from getting wavy. Then i masked it off, painted the fender wells and the put the trim on.

The front were much harder in my opinion because they were just so hard to mark. You cant just meaure from the hood and make a line, since the hood tapers. I basically had to mask the whole fender off and then use a straight edge and mark it. It took a few few try's to get it right. Then I made my cut. After the cut was made I removed the 5 or so bolts and then ripped the liner out. The liner had to be trimmed and i used some self-tapping screws and some zip-ties too hold them in. They cant be trimmed to provide complete coverage. Just try to keep as much of them as you can.
When i did the second front fender i just tried to match the other side. If i had been smarter I would have made a copy of the first one then flipped it over to use as a template for the other side. My fenders are off about 1/4" and i plan to use this technique to go back and fix it. To finsh it off i did same as the rear.

I am sure that i have left some things out so if you guys have any questions let me know and i will try and answer them. And i can provide better close ups of certain areas if needed.

Quick Reply: trimmed and cut