Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Transfer Case Exploded, Then Caught on Fire

Old 12-07-2009, 07:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeBlob
Pretty good guess. How did you know that?
The vibrations and high speed are about the only things that will make a T-case explode. And, the other items are things that can compound the condition.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did any fragments come through the floor? That blast could have sent a gear right through the sheet metal.

That could have been disastrous!
Old 12-08-2009, 02:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The vibrations and high speed are about the only things that will make a T-case explode. And, the other items are things that can compound the condition.
Have not noticed any vibration prior to the incident. In fact, several people have told me lately that it's smoother than their stock JK.

I was just driving up the interstate going about 80 mph. Not exactly "high speed" as I drive that fast (actually much faster) every day.

JeepGuru looked at it last night and found a bearing that was locked up. Maybe that caused it...

Thank God for the fire extinguisher. The belly pan made a nice little catch basin for all that hot fluid and the drive shaft probably generated a few sparks when it was trying to bust through the floorboard.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have not noticed any vibration prior to the incident. In fact, several people have told me lately that it's smoother than their stock JK.

I was just driving up the interstate going about 80 mph. Not exactly "high speed" as I drive that fast (actually much faster) every day.

JeepGuru looked at it last night and found a bearing that was locked up. Maybe that caused it...

Thank God for the fire extinguisher. The belly pan made a nice little catch basin for all that hot fluid and the drive shaft probably generated a few sparks when it was trying to bust through the floorboard.
not "high speed" ...I must be an old fart now then, that's screaming fast for me...in fact I didn't even know JK's were capable of speeds greater than 80
Old 12-08-2009, 04:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
not "high speed" ...I must be an old fart now then, that's screaming fast for me...in fact I didn't even know JK's were capable of speeds greater than 80
I agree, while not truly high speed compared to other automobiles, 80 is pretty fast for a JK that is lifted, regeared, and whatnot. Plenty of people do it, but it still is pretty fast. Having those high gears certainly doesn't help...at 80 I can't imagine how fast those suckers are moving.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:46 AM
JK Jedi Master

Pretty good guess. How did you know that?
Your not the first, this has happened to at that speed. I know of two others
Old 12-08-2009, 05:00 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am sorry to see that! damn man that sucks

I agree with blacknorthern though, to me 80 is flying, i rarely get over 65, and rarely on the roads to do so. Most of my driving is backstreets and sideroads 45 or under to get most places.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
Your not the first, this has happened to at that speed. I know of two others
Really? Hmmm, so if I replace the OEM T-Case, it will just happen again some day. (Slowing down is not really an option) Would an Atlas T-Case prevent it happening again or just prevent it from exploding into pieces?
Old 12-08-2009, 05:25 AM
JK Jedi Master

Really? Hmmm, so if I replace the OEM T-Case, it will just happen again some day. (Slowing down is not really an option) Would an Atlas T-Case prevent it happening again or just prevent it from exploding into pieces?
get your front shaft rebalanced. I would guess its not good for an atlas either.

Or install spyntec kit. (lockouts). That'll stop drive line vibrations.

Last edited by Piginajeep; 12-08-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Man, I don't know why you feel the need to do 80+ but I'm glad you're OK.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Exploded, Then Caught on Fire