Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Totaled my 2012 Rubi - LUCKY TO BE ALIVE!

Old 01-11-2012, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a mess, glad you are ok. The Jeep can be replaced-you can't
Old 01-11-2012, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jkwheelin
What a mess, glad you are ok. The Jeep can be replaced-you can't
I agree with the above statement ... glad you are ok and also hope the outcome is way in your favor.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's crazy!!! Hopefully you will be back in a jeep soon.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bucko
Your insurance claim has nothing to do with the dealership. If anything they will be stoked to get your business twice. They are still getting paid by the bank for your first sale. It doesn't matter that your sale price was only $14k (if i remember right from previous posts). You will get either MSRP value or current retail ammount (that would be dick by the insurance co.). Either way, your gunna get a check for the value, that in part will pay off the bank and the rest goes to you for a down payment on your next vehicle. If all fairs well, this shouldn't cost you a penny more. If anything, mention that you have already given them business once this month and they should give you a better deal on the second sale!

Typically that is the case with most vehicles due to the fact that they are unibody. I have seen an H3 get a whole new body because the frame and driveline were still ok. I would push for the total loss, I doubt the frame scaved away from any damage!
This goes further for anyone to learn also in case you didnt have it OP, did you have GAP coverage? if not and for anyone in the future GAP coverage is great to have if you are looking to buy a new vehicle, this way if something like this happens, you will be covered for the entire or close to the same amount as the purchase price of the vehicle, it is designed for instances like this where you total a vehicle "driving off the lot" as most insurance agents will explain.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:30 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Red08JK
This goes further for anyone to learn also in case you didnt have it OP, did you have GAP coverage? if not and for anyone in the future GAP coverage is great to have if you are looking to buy a new vehicle, this way if something like this happens, you will be covered for the entire or close to the same amount as the purchase price of the vehicle, it is designed for instances like this where you total a vehicle "driving off the lot" as most insurance agents will explain.
Here is my understanding of GAP correct me if I am wrong. GAP covers the difference between what is owed and what the vehicle is valued at. If If I owed $35K and it was valued at $30K GAP would pay the $5K difference. It does not pay the $37K that I paid for it.

I only owed $14K on the Jeep so GAP would not work for me.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your understanding of gap insurance is correct. I know people keep bringing it up to you. It only covers the "gap" between what the insurance values the vehicle and what you owe.

Also before they offer you the value of a used 2012 you should research what dealers are asking across the country for "used 2012's" equipped close to yours. If its like most used, less than one year old vehicles I see at car lots the asking price is more than what you can buy a new on for.

Be ready with your own research to negotiate and don't forget your medical expenses. I hope not but it may take some time before you can settle this claim.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Sorry yes, I didnt know the amount of your purchase but yes like Dr. Satan said, GAP covers the difference between your purchase price and what the valued price is, to help underwater loans. You sir obviously did things right and bought a vehicle you could afford not one you just wanted, and for that I thank you . I think you will come out just fine here, my wife got rear ended and totaled her 05 Equinox a year ago and KBB and other values over her vehicle were only $$5400 (2wd with over 100k miles errrr), we ended up getting just over $10k so that the insurance company could close the claim, medical was involved as well but it was just some pain meds and physical therapy like yours, which we got paid out for later as well separate from the 10k), so I think and sincerely hope you will be covered completely on this so you don't end up screwed as it was literally brand new.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hope they pay for a new jeep for you. Hear back about how much you're getting yet Scooby?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:08 AM
JK Freak

Glad your ok. It looks like the passenger side crushed more than the driver? Making me want a reinforced cage not as much for wheeling but for the psychos out there...
Old 01-12-2012, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm glad you are okay. Wish you best of luck with the adjuster and your future new jeep.

Quick Reply: Totaled my 2012 Rubi - LUCKY TO BE ALIVE!