Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Totaled my 2012 Rubi - LUCKY TO BE ALIVE!

Old 01-09-2012, 11:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The managing adjustor has to agree to an auto being a total loss; field guy usually cant make that call and he wont use any terms that could bind the company - when they use the word probable the odds are rly high that manager will sign off on total loss and if they use the word possible the odds are usually not in favor of total loss based on initial review. They're always exceptions of course. But probable is good word to hear right now in regard to an insurance claim. Im not saying u wont end up in a battle thou,
Old 01-09-2012, 11:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
Got checked out at Orthopedics Doctors office today. Basically I am okay except that I am beat up a bit. The doctor indicated that it will take up to 6 weeks before all the pain goes away. In the mean time I will get some physical therapy to help loosen me up.

I finally received a police report so I can hopefully get the claim paid. The adjuster has listed the Jeep as a probable total loss (whatever that means, the dang thing is toast!). I should hear from her tomorrow. I am going to request sticker price for the loss since my negotiation position is not as strong because the dealer knows about the accident. I do feel the dealership will be fair but I don't want to find myself in a bad situation.

I will keep you posted...
Your insurance claim has nothing to do with the dealership. If anything they will be stoked to get your business twice. They are still getting paid by the bank for your first sale. It doesn't matter that your sale price was only $14k (if i remember right from previous posts). You will get either MSRP value or current retail ammount (that would be dick by the insurance co.). Either way, your gunna get a check for the value, that in part will pay off the bank and the rest goes to you for a down payment on your next vehicle. If all fairs well, this shouldn't cost you a penny more. If anything, mention that you have already given them business once this month and they should give you a better deal on the second sale!

Originally Posted by 2BAJeep
When my son rolled his pickup years ago I wasn't sure it would be considered totaled but when I taked to the insurance company they told me any vehicle that has rolled over is automatically totaled. Not sure if that is just Florida or my insurance company, which was Liberty Mutual at the time.
Typically that is the case with most vehicles due to the fact that they are unibody. I have seen an H3 get a whole new body because the frame and driveline were still ok. I would push for the total loss, I doubt the frame scaved away from any damage!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:48 AM
JK Freak

atleast your alive to tell the story man. could have been alot worse.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm assuming police were involved so either they or you pursue suing them. There's something about if an un-insured person hits you & the police are involved then they have to pay some huge penalty to you & you can sue them big time. This might be just a Virginia thing though. I'd check on that...definitely if your insurance rate goes way up from this.

Glad you are still here with us.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go for a lawsuit on the guy with no insurance.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
I would go for a lawsuit on the guy with no insurance.
Just guessing if the guy had no insurance he probably doesn't have any money to sue for... You spend the money to sue but get nothing in return.

To the OP you will be very lucky to get sticker and chances are you will be very lucky to be able to get into another 2012 without taking some loss. They will pay you what they think a now used 2012 is worth...
Most of the time you can get the dealer to 1% below invoice maybe a little lower. Hopefully whatever the insurance says it is worth is what you can get the new one at.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:49 PM
MTG
JK Freak

Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

I missed a few pages so sorry if its been covered. Did you have gap coverage on your insurance? If so, you should be made whole.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by lensstj
Just guessing if the guy had no insurance he probably doesn't have any money to sue for... You spend the money to sue but get nothing in return.
Right. However, the law ensures that the person suing will be entitled to some money somehow. Perhaps the guy will have to sell his house or something.

And as for the Insurance coverage - they might give you a check on what a brand new vehicle would cost.

I traded in my first Cherokee for a 2004 WRX and 2 months later I rolled the car avoiding a drunk driver. The dealer gave me a check for 19,000 which was the cost of the car new. (I was still paying monthly payments). I paid exactly 19,000 for the car.

I used that money to buy myself another Cherokee.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:11 PM
JK Jedi

The adjuster called today. The Jeep is totaled... she is working with a 3rd party auto evaluation company and should have a number for me by tomorrow. I told her (with humility) my expectations which is full sticker price plus tax, tag and registration. Again, there is no guaranty that I can negotiate the same deal with this dealer or any other. In fact there are only 2 Cherry Rubicons in the state of NC and both are much higher in price than mine and both at least 3 - 4 hours away. I may have to go up North to pick one up. She indicated she understood my request... but of course I know it is up to what the evaluation company says.

Hopefully this will work out in my favor. I will keep everyone posted!!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Come up to Virginia we have a few huge Jeep dealerships with that color.

Quick Reply: Totaled my 2012 Rubi - LUCKY TO BE ALIVE!