Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Totaled my 2012 Rubi - LUCKY TO BE ALIVE!

Old 01-06-2012, 03:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the compliment... now if only I had cat like reflexes... lol

I was able to upgrade my rental from a pos Jetta to a much larger Dodge Charger... what a relief.

Yesterday and today are my worst days as far as pain... I am really sore in my neck and upper back area. I may need to see a physical therapist or a chiropracter today. Man this part sucks!!

According to my insurance company it could take 3 - 4 weeks to settle on the Jeep since the bank hasn't processed the paperwork or have possession of a title.

Having to drive in a normal car is going to cramp my style therefore, I must be entitled to pain and suffering!!

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL - I was never one to believe in whiplash etc until I experienced it ... and its crazy but true, my injuries/pain would suddenly appear in different places for about a year. To this day - 14 years later - I have problems with my left foot, right wrist, and neck. Take the time to find videos showing what happens to the body during car accident and youll be amazed. I pray the panic attacks dont hit you bc they are nasty nasty. One - this is embarassing - one dropped me to my knees and I urinated on myself. The docs explained flight or fight reactions and PTSD and gave me meds and said it wld pass and after about six months it did. The drunk driver that hit me while I was stopped at red light passed out at the wheel, coming downhill, and didnt have their headlights on; and my back windows were tinted; I never saw or heard him coming at 80plus mph - no braking of course - seriously I thought a small airplane had tried to land on top of me. There is some "courtsey" in at least knowing something is about to hit you, even if its split second. It forever changes you and that stinks. Also: if you know your dealer well and plan to buy new vehicle from them, they may give you nicer vehicle however they could try to use the situation to take advantage of you but it appears ur too smart for that. Theyll want your business; use it to your advantage. I had a buddy who was involved in an accident and the dealer "rented" him a nice vehicle to drive and said bring it back when its time to get your new one - thats how you keep a customer for life. I personally drove the crappy rental bc I had to do some work out of town. I dont know what your medical limits are but dont be so quick to settle - i tell you having a new injury months after was the weirdest thing for me. I didnt profit off this but my health insurance was reimbursed so my premiums didnt increase. But to this day I have to see a chiro bc the pain gets so bad (arthritis has set in now) and I of course have to pay for that. I wish now i had sued the uninsured driver personally - read Sharkeys post; it has merit. I hope things work out better for you medicalwise, but do please stay on guard for possible panic/adrenalin rushes - youll feel like youve had too much coffee at first - little heart flutters - its mild at first - youll have that anticipation sensation - and thats the time to seek a doc - dont wait till ur peeing on yourself in public PS: I think my buddy actually worked new deal on car with dealer and he drove it and they just finalized the paperwork when all was settled and they were involved in huge lawsuit bc wife had to have a screw put in her neck.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

DAMN DUDE!!!!! Glad you came out of that OK, the jeep situation can be fixed but you can't.....
Old 01-06-2012, 05:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
Thanks everyone...

I was smacked by a Saturn Vue... the officer cited him for no insurance, expired license plate, expired driver's license, failure to reduce speed, running a red light.

The officer was very nice and professional and said he wished he could arrest him but these are not arrestable charges.

I am very thankful that I am alive and the insurance thing is just a nusiance compared to what could have happened!!
I'm glad you're OK. Here in MA, you can be arrested for expired registration. Doesn't always happen, it's up to the officers discretion.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Hey man, I feel your pain. Lucky you were in a high-clearance Jeep though and the frame & rock-rail took most of the impact. Many years ago I was T-boned in a sedan I had only owned for 2 weeks by a drunk driver who ran a red light (fortunately she hit my passenger side, otherwise I probably wouldn't be here now typing this) and I ended up with a fractured femur, bruised spleen and a cracked vertebrae in my neck. The other driver wasn't wearing a seatbelt though & no airbags in those days so she went through the windshield and ended up in the rear passenger seat of my car (spent a long, long time recovering in hospital from her terrible injuries).

So how did the Rubi's roll cage hold up in the rollover? Apart from the missing front freedom panels, everything else topside looks in remarkable shape, considering. Looking at the impact you survived, it gives me more confidence now driving around in my JK.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:40 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JKlad
Hey man, I feel your pain. Lucky you were in a high-clearance Jeep though and the frame & rock-rail took most of the impact. Many years ago I was T-boned in a sedan I had only owned for 2 weeks by a drunk driver who ran a red light (fortunately she hit my passenger side, otherwise I probably wouldn't be here now typing this) and I ended up with a fractured femur, bruised spleen and a cracked vertebrae in my neck. The other driver wasn't wearing a seatbelt though & no airbags in those days so she went through the windshield and ended up in the rear passenger seat of my car (spent a long, long time recovering in hospital from her terrible injuries).

So how did the Rubi's roll cage hold up in the rollover? Apart from the missing front freedom panels, everything else topside looks in remarkable shape, considering. Looking at the impact you survived, it gives me more confidence now driving around in my JK.
Wow your accident seemed to be much worse than mine...

As previously stated and directly to what you wrote I fully believe that the Rubi's Rock Rail saved my life. I feel the overall integrity of the roll cage was excellent, it wasn't bent at all. The windshield frame did sustain substantial damage and I am concerned that a passenger might not have fared as well as I did. I am seriously thinking of purchasing the XRC Rollcage by Smittybilt for my next one. Never thought I would need one because my off-roading style is beach and dirt/mud, not many hills or steep grades. Guess I didn't consider the dangers of the blacktop jungle... lol

Windshield damage:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2722.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	260210

Name:	IMG_2723.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	260211

Name:	IMG_2728.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	260212

Last edited by scooby snacks; 01-06-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Man, i think ur right: passenger would have received severe trauma - u r very lucky and u seem to be in good spirits too - good for you!!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
Wow your accident seemed to be much worse than mine...

As previously stated and directly to what you wrote I fully believe that the Rubi's Rock Rail saved my life. I feel the overall integrity of the roll cage was excellent, it wasn't bent at all. The windshield frame did sustain substantial damage and I am concerned that a passenger might not have fared as well as I did. I am seriously thinking of purchasing the XRC Rollcage by Smittybilt for my next one. Never thought I would need one because my off-roading style is beach and dirt/mud, not many hills or steep grades. Guess I didn't consider the dangers of the blacktop jungle... lol
Yeah, because I was in a low slung sedan with a moncoque construction (ie: one piece body with integral frame structure, not a seperate body-on-full-frame like the Jeep & some other larger sedans of that era) the impact buckled the floorpan & sent the front passenger seat & floor console crushing into me.

I've often wondered myself how the Wrangler's windshield frame would stand up to a rollover as, just by looking at it in the flesh & in your photos, it seems to be the weak link in the factory rollcage design; I would be much happier if the side roll bars attached to something more sturdy than just the top of the windshield frame. I've never really thought about getting an aftermarket sport cage as I don't really do any extreme offroading however you've got me thinking now about whether it wouldn't be bad idea just to have a little extra protection just in case a completely unforseen accident (such as the one you just had) occurs.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:23 PM
JK Newbie

Default Wow

Glad your alive, everything else is replaceable. xrc rollcage is a great idea.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

So glad to hear that you made it out of that with nothing major. It sucks about the Rubi but it did save your life. It sounds like your insurance will work with you. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Totaled my 2012 Rubi - LUCKY TO BE ALIVE!