Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Totaled my 2012 Rubi - LUCKY TO BE ALIVE!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sucks a brand new rubi got wrecked. But it can be replaced. Hope the insurance works out. But most importantly you are ok. Wouldn't guess that from the pics!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanna say I'm glad you are ok. Saying that here's my past experience... Eff geico! ;-)
Was rear ended in 2006. Car was fine my back was screwed. And, my girlfriend at the times back was messed up badly.
Back and forth with lawyers... Full treatment for my gf and I for rehab was 12k out of pocket.
They would not settle. Took it to court. They brought in a univ of wash professor to explain theories and dynamics of a collision. Geico wasted close to 50k on a case and they lost. This is how effed society and companies have become. The jury's faces were priceless watching the defense go to all ends of their capabilities to prove we were no way injured.
Our medical bills were paid by geico. Total cost to them was close to 90k.
It settled on 2010. 4 years of hell.

I fear getting hit. It it's like PTSD. Just saying.

So, in all, I'm glad you are ok. Jeep can be replaced. Be very careful of fine print.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
Thanks, I used to do websites for attorneys so I have a firm that I will call today. This is exactly what they handle...

I got $30K for the Rubi and the 2012 was discounted about $2,500 which was about $1,500 over invoice. It worked out because I took it to CarMax and a Jeep Dealer in Raleigh and they both offered my $27K actual cash value. This is basically what this dealer did and used the dollars above the invoice to make my Jeep look like it was worth more. I was okay with this since NC taxes you only on the difference between the sales price of the car and the trade-in value.

Here is where I am concerned... If they give me what I paid (car was 2 hours old with 125 miles) I will take a bath on the taxes since I will not have a vehicle to trade. Bascially I will be taxed at 3% of the purchase price. Let's say I purchase one for $35K I will now have to pay $1,050 where I originally paid only $150 in taxes.

Thanks for your advice!!
Flat out that a-hole needs to put you back to where you were driving home no matter what is costs. You had a 2012 Rubi and the a-hole will need to put you back into a 2012 Rubi. No cost to you and you have the payments you had before the accident.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Steel can be replaced, people can't. Glad you are ok, that's #1.

It sure hurts my heart to read your story, and see that smashed up brand new Rubi...on the way home from picking it up!!

Sure hope the law takes care of the wast of skin that hit you with no insurance. That burns me.

All the best to you.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Glad you are fine. As others already said, the Jeep can be replaced.

What do the authorities do about the slimes who do not buy insurance? Cancel their driver license, if they have one, or throw them in jail if they do not have a DL? Is it possible to sue his pants out to teach him a lesson?

The way the Jeep, a heavy vehicle, was thrown around shows that the other car, maybe not as heavy (?), was at a very high speed.

Last edited by Sahara_Maverick; 01-05-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Glad you're okay. People like that who take advantage of things need to be taken out back and whipped. This stuff is happening way too often now a days. Something needs to be done about it. /endrant I hope everything works out for you in the end, I'm sure it will.

RIP Rubi
Long Live Scooby Snacks
Old 01-05-2012, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually slimebags who drive without insurance have no assets ; nothin to collect. Your state has to have laws and penalties to prevent this behavior with mandatory jail time. The sales tax on the new replacement vehicle should be included, but check your "fine print " Glad you're OK.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:49 AM
JK Jedi

I have uninsured motorists on my policy and it looks like that may be the way the claim will go. I am still waiting on the accident report to move the claim forward. The officer has been off the past 3 days so it probably Friday night before he completes it and Monday before I get it. I just have to be patient and remind myself that I am lucky to be alive!!

Thanks for all the support and I will let you all know how this thing turns out.

I sure hope I am in another Rubi by next weekend (1/14). This POS rental VW Jetta is killing me... my head is in the ceiling and my knees in the dash... I am going to see if I can upgrade to something more my size (6' 4").

Wish me luck!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Glad to hear you're ok! Those pictures are crazy!!
Hoping all goes well with insurance!!

Jeeps are AWESOME!!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Tell the rental company it's your birthday and see if they give you a free upgrade
Actually, most insurance policies are supposed to get you a rental comparable or as close to comparable as what you lost. My partner has had her share of accidents (go figure) in her Subaru and each time she insisted they provide her with an AWD rental or better. They've done so every time though a few times it's taken more of her determination to get it...

Happy Birthday though! A thankful one I'm sure. Maybe you'll get the missing rock rail for your troubles

Quick Reply: Totaled my 2012 Rubi - LUCKY TO BE ALIVE!