Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Totaled my 2012 Rubi - LUCKY TO BE ALIVE!

Old 01-04-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear that you came out of that accident in good shape. I hope all goes well with insurance. Good luck, keep us posted with updates and pics of the new jeep.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

If the coverage amounts are adequate in your policy they sld make you "whole," meaning: put you back into the position you were in before the accident, so the tax situation is part of your loss and I would include it as part of making you "whole". I of course havent read the terms of your policy but any good attorney sld make sure youre "whole" and then some - and if you have decent medical limits a good attorney can keep that portion of the policy open longer just in case you need it - neck starts hurting etc - i knew a guy who was in an accident and was fine but 6 months later they had to put a rod in his back - thats an extreme case but you can settle collision etc and request that medical remain open for an agreed upon of time - oh, theyll scream but who cares? - and if by chance u start having panic attacks its prob due to excess adrenalin - theres a med called klonopin that rly helps - if panic happens itll go away in 6 months or so.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my old TJ was totaled, they gave me the value of the jeep & the sales tax equivalent to that value. This way when I bought my new Jeep, I paid no more taxes then I would have, if I had traded it in.

(My only complaint is they screwed me by about $1k for the price of the TJ in my estimate, but there is absolutely no way to fight their "Blue Book Value"... One problem with Jeeps, if you have a used, desirable jeep -- it's hard for them to make a comparison to local values so they rely on the less then reliable Blue Books and such. But this shouldn't be a problem in your case.)

--Mark
Old 01-04-2012, 12:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Glad you are ok! As for your claim there should be no problem as the car was so new there will be no depriciation involved as with most older vehicles. It will get tricky as you have to go thru your ins co not his. This means what you signed when you got ins comes into play and may limit Taxes, Registration,ect. They should pay for the value of the Jeep though without issue.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:25 PM
JK Freak

Glad your ok ! Sucks about the jeep but hopefully Your insurance company takes care of it ! Good luck man!
Old 01-04-2012, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow i'm very happy to see that you're alright. Hopefully everything is taken care of. Possible Lawsuit?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:03 PM
JK Jedi

Thanks again for the replies and the information... it is helpful.

Several of you asked if I had gap insurance and the answer to that question is no... although I do have it on my 2009 Buick Enclave. I only owe $14K on this Jeep and I really wasn't thinking I needed it where on the Enclave I financed it 100% and knew I would. I will reconsider this when I get the next one.

As for the collision, I am convinced that the Rock Rail saved my life. I feel certain that if I didn't have one on the Jeep it would have forced the door much further into the passenger compartment.

I am meeting with the Adjuster tomorrow and he is going to lay everything out for me. My understanding from several folks on the thread and speaking with another agent that the most likely scenario is they will pay me what I paid for the car on Monday, plus license fees and taxes.

I will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks!!
Old 01-04-2012, 01:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Good luck with everything! Glad you're ok.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

That sucks! Glad you're alive!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:56 PM
JK Super Freak

I test drove that jeep a couple weeks ago I think. Happy birthday and I''m glad your alive and fairly well. Just look at it this way, you be able to get 2 brand new jeeps this year.

Quick Reply: Totaled my 2012 Rubi - LUCKY TO BE ALIVE!