Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Totaled my 2012 Rubi - LUCKY TO BE ALIVE!

Old 01-04-2012, 07:39 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
Glad your ok...
I'll try and keep it short.... get a Lawyer ... even though your claim is against your Insurance company I would..
My son was in an accident 5 years ago, not the driver, the insurance company's wouldn't talk to me.. (son had a dislocated shoulder and needed surgery and I was getting him taken care off of my insurance and then trying to recoup my fees.... etc... not smart as I now know) a lawyer called me that was representing another client that was in the same accident. I had no other option but to talk with him,, and I did hire him. I am so glad I did.... my sons shoulder was fixed and 5 years later is good....
Basically over 16K of medical bills was settled for around $2500.... which of course they had to pay... not me.. and there is no way they would have dropped 16K down to 2.5K..... of course my insurance would have help some of that bill but since it was an accident they were now saying my insurance was secondary etc................... it was a mess.....

There are so many loop holes that we don't know about, and there are multiple coverage’s that you may have if you have more than one vehicle.. do you have uninsured motorists.... ????
etc.................
and the funny thing is that Insurance company's talk to lawyers easier then settling without them... seems weird but that's my experience.

Get a Lawyer... sadly I am now a believer in that system were I once agued against it... The insurance company's bring a lot of this upon them shelves by how they handle our claims.........
(I am not one to chase money in these situations but like I said insurance companies don't talk to individuals very well and when they do they could care less...)

good Luck.
and I'm sure you'll Jeep On soon...

PS; what did you get for you 2011 Rubi?

Thanks, I used to do websites for attorneys so I have a firm that I will call today. This is exactly what they handle...

I got $30K for the Rubi and the 2012 was discounted about $2,500 which was about $1,500 over invoice. It worked out because I took it to CarMax and a Jeep Dealer in Raleigh and they both offered my $27K actual cash value. This is basically what this dealer did and used the dollars above the invoice to make my Jeep look like it was worth more. I was okay with this since NC taxes you only on the difference between the sales price of the car and the trade-in value.

Here is where I am concerned... If they give me what I paid (car was 2 hours old with 125 miles) I will take a bath on the taxes since I will not have a vehicle to trade. Bascially I will be taxed at 3% of the purchase price. Let's say I purchase one for $35K I will now have to pay $1,050 where I originally paid only $150 in taxes.

Thanks for your advice!!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles but definitely glad you made it out with minor injuries... Hope all works out! People driving without insurance =
Old 01-04-2012, 08:13 AM
JK Freak

Oh man, just finished reading all of the posts and looking at your pictures. First of all, I'm glad you are physically OK, it sucks about the uninsured driver, but your insurance company should take care of it. I'm sure you can work something out with the dealer to compensate for the extra grand on the sales tax issue.

Second, can you go back to that salvage yard and take out the D44 front and the rear locker for me? I'll pay for the shipping charges LOL. Seriously, joking aside, Happy Birthday and I'm glad you are alive... You are now 2 days old after walking away from that.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Curious to know what the outcome ends up being out of pocket to get into another one. Did you have GAP?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Man.. sorry to hear about the wreck. Glad you were able to walk away though. Best of luck with the insurance company.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Glad to hear your ok!!!!

sucks about the jeep. But that can be replaced. You can't.

Ps. Can I have your axles???? Hahaha
Old 01-04-2012, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

Wow, thank God that could have been bad...........
Old 01-04-2012, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad you are OK!

I hope your insurance claim works out. If you were covered on your 2011, you should be ok on this as long as you UIM had good coverage.

I can;t help but think, if it was hot out, the doors were off, you might not have been able to post this.

glad you walked away.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

That hurts to look at. Great to hear you're alive and well. I think you're allowed a mulligan for the start of 2012...!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Glad you're ok man

Quick Reply: Totaled my 2012 Rubi - LUCKY TO BE ALIVE!