Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Torque issue

Old 07-06-2009, 10:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
It happens. You weren't torquing the front uppers to 125, were you?
Nope, sure didnt.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:36 AM
JK Super Freak

I replaced the bolt, I could not find a grade 8 that was the same length, was a little bit too long. So the bolt I found, I spaced the head with a couple of washers, should this be fine, will I have any issues retaining the torque on this bolt?
Old 07-07-2009, 05:30 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

What ended up being wrong with the original bolt? You might have a problem with the nut, too.

OEM Parts:
Bolt, 06104265AA, $8.35
Nut & Retainer, 06508598AA, $2.35

These are pretty important pieces. Maybe even corrosion resistant coating on them. I suspect the bolt strength is greater than grade 8, but, I don't know for sure. Not knowing would make me want to get the OEM bolt and nut.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Nothing appeared to be wrong with it, damn thing just wouldnt torque. My guess is it had too much "spring" in it and was probably about to pop. Factory probably overtorqued it or something and ruined the bolt
Old 07-07-2009, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Well I ordered a replacement bolt, the retainer nut is on backorder, figures
Old 07-07-2009, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
What ended up being wrong with the original bolt? You might have a problem with the nut, too.

OEM Parts:
Bolt, 06104265AA, $8.35
Nut & Retainer, 06508598AA, $2.35

These are pretty important pieces. Maybe even corrosion resistant coating on them. I suspect the bolt strength is greater than grade 8, but, I don't know for sure. Not knowing would make me want to get the OEM bolt and nut.
The bolt is a standard metric 10.9, equivalent to grade 8.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:07 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally think your better off with a standard grade 8. I ordered a brand new OEM trk bar bolt for my wifes TJ, Broke the original off trying to torque the bolt. Had to put in a grade 8 to get by with until the new one came in. The new one came in along with a new flag nut. Torque on the TJ is lower. The OEM would not torque to 55ftlbs, it snapped. Put the grade 8 back in , no probs. I also noticed when trying to check torque on my jk rear control arms, it seemed like they were fixing to snap. Wouldn't torque to 125. I replaced both lowers with grade 8's, torqued, no prob. I don't think all these OEM bolts have the same quality as standard grade 8's. Just my opinion.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I personally think your better off with a standard grade 8. I ordered a brand new OEM trk bar bolt for my wifes TJ, Broke the original off trying to torque the bolt. Had to put in a grade 8 to get by with until the new one came in. The new one came in along with a new flag nut. Torque on the TJ is lower. The OEM would not torque to 55ftlbs, it snapped. Put the grade 8 back in , no probs. I also noticed when trying to check torque on my jk rear control arms, it seemed like they were fixing to snap. Wouldn't torque to 125. I replaced both lowers with grade 8's, torqued, no prob. I don't think all these OEM bolts have the same quality as standard grade 8's. Just my opinion.
When I was torqueing the 10.9, on the rear, passenger upper control arm, connected to the axle it felt like it got looser after 121ftlb, I was getting ready for it to snap. So I went to Lowes and got a grade 8 bolt. I could not find a bolt at the right lenght so I put in 4 washers before the head of the bolt, then on the other side put a lock washer, regular flat washer, then nut. Should this be good?
Old 07-07-2009, 12:19 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

It seems the evidence is stacked against the OEM hardware.
Thanks for making me do some homework.
Check this site h**p://www.americanfastener.com/technical/grade_markings_steel.asp

Is the grade 8 bolt the same diameter as the OEM metric bolt?
Is the length of un-threaded portion of the two bolts the same?

Quick Reply: Torque issue