Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Topless roof rack

Old 12-04-2011, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trampoline material?

Anyone ever thought of using trampoline material as a floor on a roof rack!? Light weight, Cut it to size, insert grommets, Slip over J hook, and load! You could also do 48" or 28" sections so that you didn't have to cover the whole bottom!
Old 12-05-2011, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

OverlanndJKU, I like that. So you are running the congo cage with a different rack that you also extended. The congo cage in itself looks like it is light weight and I guess you could always add a few spars across for other configs (Thule bike rack when not using the basket)

BigredJK, I want to be able to sleep up their so the main floor or basket has to be even. I do a lot of camping\mountain bike events. I also have a huge mesquito net, that if I install little poles on the basket about 2 feet apart about 2 to 2 1/2 feet high this will suspend the netting above me. If need be I would also be able to setup my single person tent up there as well. Duing the fall at my one mountainbike 4 day event (the first two days it rains so much and we are on a slight hill, that the ground is 3 inches deep with water floowing for hours! Can ruin a weekend very quickly.

Rockquil - I like the idea, but tramp material sags, no matter how tight you try to make it.... I'm not a light weight.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Just ordered my Kargo Master Congo Cage Rack for my 2012 JK 2dr soft top.

Found one new on 4wd. com with a coupon code for $329 free shipping.

Can't wait to install it. Just have to figure out what size basket to order.

Thanks for the valuable info everyone!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the olympic quick n easy racks for my old tj, kept them, will probably have to modify to fit jk, will post pix if i ever get hardtop off (crap weather)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1799167532.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	275993  
Old 02-09-2012, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
hey i would check out the Cargo Master congo cage - I've had it on my 2dr for a couple years now. hard top, soft top any aftermarket tops work great with it. it also bolts on so NO DRILLING and holds the most weight of any other rack i have seen. 500lbs.

here's a couple pix of my yaks on the rack

Attachment 231872Attachment 231873

I think we need better pictures of the second rack. and what do you mean there was no screwing or drilling involved???
Old 02-09-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FalconMan
...I have a bunch of 1 1/4" rectangular tubing...
Yeah...I tried this route with 1" square tubing and expanded metal mesh. I zipped it together in the car port over the course of several months. Well...when I lifted the thing up after getting the basket completely built, I quickly discovered that it was HEAVY and was NOT something I wanted riding around over my head with a soft top. I swear the thing weighs every bit of 300 pounds. It is slated to become a BBQ trailer now because there is no way I am mounting that over the top of my Jeep. Moral of the story? Square or rectangular tubing may LOOK fairly lightweight, but when you get 100 feet of it welded together into a 6' x 8' basket, I assure you it is NOT.
So....my last successful fab project (completed) was a conduit dash organizer. Conduit is easy to cut and weld and is very lightweight. I bet if you designed a basket right, you could build one out of 1" conduit. I am envisioning one made out of conduit and instead of steel mesh...wait for it...nylon webbing sewn together and attached to the basket frame. You could probably build just what you are talking about for under $200.
Just looked at the Lowe's website and they have heavy-duty GRC conduit (2-inch diameter, not thin-walled) for $44 per 10-foot joint. Another option they have is the 1-1/2" EMT conduit that sells for $13 per 10-foot joint. At that price, you could get the sides of the basket done for $104. Elbows are $6 each so you would be into it for another $48 there. We are up to $152 now. I have no idea what the webbing would cost but I bet you could find it fairly cheap online.
Just my ...Hope it helps
Old 02-13-2012, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05870.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	277920
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05897.jpg
Views:	352