Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Took the Jeep on a Family Adventure...

Old 02-27-2011, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took the Jeep on a Family Adventure...

So the family decided to head off on a new adventure and take the Jeep Rubi up to Taos, NM for a ski trip. Before heading off, I had the Jeep sent over to Lunatic Customs for Gerry to install the 5.13 gears. He did an absolutely amazing job and even stored it for me a few days as I got delayed in picking it up. Can't say enough about Gerry...he'll be doing alot to my little rig in the future.

Anyway, the Uncle headed up from Corpus Christi and met us in Midland, TX for the great departure. He brought his '08 FJ Cruiser. In addition to skiiing we thought we'd hit up a few trails. On the way up we stopped in Roswell, NM for a couple of pics...

The wife and I at the "welcome sign"...

The 5.13 gears really helped improve the cruising capability of the Jeep on the highway...

For those of you who've never driven through west Texas or southeast New Mexico, this is about all you'll see..

And if you're lucky you'll catch a glimpse of one of these:

Once we got there we managed to find the rental house. After climbing the 10% snow covered grade up to the house the night before, I snapped a picture of the beautiful road and the valley below. This was the same view we had from the hot tub as well, so good times were definitely had after long days of skiing...

The wife and I getting rigged up for skiing:

The wife getting my 4 year old son ready for the day on the slopes:

This was the Rubi after sitting the night out in the snow:

The road down from the house on the 2nd day of skiing:

After 3 days of skiing the wife, kids and I took off on the mountain roads of northern New Mexico. The Uncle followed...where he could. LOL

Found some beautiful places up in the mountains. Got the kids out with the wife for a little posing. Folks, those three are my reasons for living...

On the way back the little Rubi fought a nasty headwind and the 500 mile one way trip saw me filling up 4 times:

That was the first roadtrip the family has taken in the Jeep. We enjoyed it a great deal. The Rubi ran fine but was obviously a little more underpowered than the wife's car or my powerstroke, but the HEMI swap I've got planned will fix that right up. The family has already scheduled the same trip for next year so I hope to rumble up to the house next time with a couple more cylinders.

Anyway, thought you guys might enjoy a few glimpses of our family ski trip in the jeep. Here's to many, many more...

Last edited by boost addict; 02-27-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like you guys had a fun trip! Your JK is looking good!
Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

Forgot to mention that some Jeep dealership in the middle of nowhere had one of the Jeep camping trailers out on display. I stopped to ask about it but noone seemed to know anything about it. Anybody know what these things cost?

Inside:

Old 02-27-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

I would love to have one of these trailers. The wife and I have been looking for something like this.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 PM
JK Newbie

1. How often did 'The Uncle' have to fill up?

2.I was curious about the trailers as well. They're in the 2011 brochure. Seems there are two models. I followed links to the Mopar site but when I saw the prices, I lost my interest real fast. IIRC, they're $8k and $10k. Granted, that's was via the Mopar site. No idea if they're available from another -hopefully cheaper- source.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome pictures from what looks like an awesome trip.

I think there are 2 versions of teh trailer for like 8 and 10k each or something like that. Way $$$$
Old 02-27-2011, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boost addict
Forgot to mention that some Jeep dealership in the middle of nowhere had one of the Jeep camping trailers out on display. I stopped to ask about it but noone seemed to know anything about it. Anybody know what these things cost?

$10k+

If there were even CLOSE to reasonable, I would absolutely have purchased one. But for what they are, I just couldn't consider it. I think the "sell" is that you can finance one at the stealership along with your Jeep purchase, at least that's the only perceived positive I could find with them.

Instead, I went with the Lifetime Tent Trailer (see my build thread for details) for 1/3 the cost.

BTW, great pics down in Taos! Spent an anniversary weekend there last year, had a great time. Looks like you guys did, too.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great pics!! Thanks!!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very cool pics!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:58 AM
JK Freak

Default Nice Jeep and Nice trip

Man that looked like fun.
You have a nice rig there.

Quick Reply: Took the Jeep on a Family Adventure...