Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

tinted lights..NITE SHADES..PICS

Old 10-10-2007, 06:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tinted lights..NITE SHADES..PICS

so i have been tinkering with this for a while and had a couple of cans of nite shades left over from my old car projects, so i decided to give it a go

for those that dont know Nite Shades is a spray on translucent type film that is perfect for tinting taillights

this looks amazing on a black vehicle, i did it very dark on mine as i didnt want any remains of the red and orange shingin through, at night they are totally fine and shine the original colors

Old 10-10-2007, 06:27 AM
JK Freak

Great mod!

Do you spray the inside of the lense or the outside?
Did you have to tape off the reverse part of the lense?
Is it legal on the rear lenses?
Where can I find Night Shade?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Does it come off when wheeling?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redWRANGLER

Most state laws will only require the light to be visible from a distance, regardless of the tint. Texas is 1000 feet.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by redWRANGLER
Great mod!

Do you spray the inside of the lense or the outside?
Did you have to tape off the reverse part of the lense?
Where can I find Night Shade?

you spray it on the outside

i basically took all the lenses and lights off, masked off the parts that i didnt want to spray and sprayed 4 thick coats on, again, you shouldnt do it this thick

it is a good idea to use clearcoat and then buff them out at the end, but i want them to eventually have a flat look, so i didnt do it

im pretty sure they are illegal, although they are barely darker at night then before

you can find it online, ebay, etc
search for VHT Nite Shades
Old 10-10-2007, 07:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Nice! I've been thinking of doing that with mine, but i dunno if it will look as good on blue...

btw, decided if you are coming on the east cost ride this saturday?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just did it to mine about five days ago on a silver rubi, I think It looks awesome. I only did three coats and then three coats of clear to help protect the tint finish.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:32 AM
JK Freak

any pics? Does the clear give it a glossy look?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
btw... as far as legallity goes... it will varry per state... but in maryland, what you have is a "technically" illegal

In otherwords, they are kind of both legal and illegal.
22-209(a) FRONT LAMPS - Front Clearance Lamps, Identification Lamps, and those Marker Lamps and Reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an AMBER color.
22-227(f) COLOR OF LIGHTS ON REAR OF VEHICLE - All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle shall display or reflect a RED Color, except the Stoplight or Other Signal Device, which may be Red, Amber or Yellow, except that the light illuminating the Registration Plate shall be White and the light emitted by a Backup Lamp shall be White or Amber.
So during the day, they don't reflect light unless they blink, and at night when they are on... you cant tell the difference. Its one of them hairline laws that 9/10 cops wont care about unless they stop you for something else.

Besides, they'll probably be too amazed at how nice your jeep looks to think of giving you a ticket

but the worse they can do is give you one of them Moving Vehicle Traffic Citation, (usually $40-50) and/or a Safety Equipment Repair Order.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In california as long as there is a hint of red left. its legal. and most cops dont ticket for it.

Quick Reply: tinted lights..NITE SHADES..PICS