Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Thanks MBRP

Old 05-31-2009, 04:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKsJK
just finished (i think) installing my 2 dr relocation kit. as people have mentioned here and in other posts - removal of the stock system is a bitch - but everything else seemed to work pretty good and i am very pleased with it overall. i have a couple questions for mbrp and am going to call them in the morning, but wanted to see if i could get some answers here from other that have installed the system.

is the e-brak cable supposed to go on top of and the the driver side of the pipe, or below and towards the passenger side of the pipe? it seemed to be a toss up on which way to route it when i was lining up the pipes before tightening down, so i picked one (below and to the passenger side of the pipe). after i tightened everything down i took it for a test drive and after about a couple miles of diving i got out to check it and the pipes had "settled" and were now in contact with the cable. i've moved the cable again, but i'm pretty much out of room and it's still close to the pipe. anyone else have this issue? the instructions state to check if any wires cables need to be relocated, so i'm not suggesting it's a defect, just wondering what others have done.

also, mine seems to have quite a bit of play back wear it goes over the axle. do others have this? i'm just wondering if i have installed it properly. doesn't seem to have a stable fit for me. and honestly, the end dump seems a little crooked - so again, wondering if i've installed it properly. i played around with the line-up before i tightened it down, but where i had it seemed to be about the best positioning. i'll try to get some pictures, but was wondering if others had ideas.
I know the first time I set mine up I did it by hand and just cranked on the nuts to tighten everything, but using an impact wrench helped out a lot to fix the loose fit near the axle you're talking about.

If you don't have an impact wrench you might be able to rent one from homedepot or a auto repair shop might be able to snug them up for a small fee, the difference between hand tightening and using an impact wrench is night and day
Old 05-31-2009, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by absoluttorque
I know the first time I set mine up I did it by hand and just cranked on the nuts to tighten everything, but using an impact wrench helped out a lot to fix the loose fit near the axle you're talking about.

If you don't have an impact wrench you might be able to rent one from homedepot or a auto repair shop might be able to snug them up for a small fee, the difference between hand tightening and using an impact wrench is night and day
excellent - thank you. no impact wrench here. i will try that.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:44 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

just finished (i think) installing my 2 dr relocation kit. as people have mentioned here and in other posts - removal of the stock system is a bitch - but everything else seemed to work pretty good and i am very pleased with it overall. i have a couple questions for mbrp and am going to call them in the morning, but wanted to see if i could get some answers here from other that have installed the system.

is the e-brak cable supposed to go on top of and the the driver side of the pipe, or below and towards the passenger side of the pipe? it seemed to be a toss up on which way to route it when i was lining up the pipes before tightening down, so i picked one (below and to the passenger side of the pipe). after i tightened everything down i took it for a test drive and after about a couple miles of diving i got out to check it and the pipes had "settled" and were now in contact with the cable. i've moved the cable again, but i'm pretty much out of room and it's still close to the pipe. anyone else have this issue? the instructions state to check if any wires cables need to be relocated, so i'm not suggesting it's a defect, just wondering what others have done.

also, mine seems to have quite a bit of play back wear it goes over the axle. do others have this? i'm just wondering if i have installed it properly. doesn't seem to have a stable fit for me. and honestly, the end dump seems a little crooked - so again, wondering if i've installed it properly. i played around with the line-up before i tightened it down, but where i had it seemed to be about the best positioning. i'll try to get some pictures, but was wondering if others had ideas.
Sometimes the brake lines need to be held away from the exhaust and in most cases a simple zip tie is all you need. If you are not able to keep the pipes from moving by hand tightening the clamps, I suggest that you make sure the clamp is right near the end of the expansion and the bolt is directly over top of one of the slots in the pipe. If the bolt is not over one of the slots, and the clamp is too far up the expansion, you will not be able to get the expansions to tighten enough.

As absoluttorque already stated...an impact wrench would make this even easier but I am sure you can get them tight enough by hand as well.

Steve
Old 06-01-2009, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MBRP Tech 1
Sometimes the brake lines need to be held away from the exhaust and in most cases a simple zip tie is all you need. If you are not able to keep the pipes from moving by hand tightening the clamps, I suggest that you make sure the clamp is right near the end of the expansion and the bolt is directly over top of one of the slots in the pipe. If the bolt is not over one of the slots, and the clamp is too far up the expansion, you will not be able to get the expansions to tighten enough.

As absoluttorque already stated...an impact wrench would make this even easier but I am sure you can get them tight enough by hand as well.

Steve
hey thanks for the info steve. i was just about to call you guys. i adjusted the bracket that holds the e-brake cables and then also zip-tied them - but since i hadn't heard much about this, i wanted to be sure that i had the exhaust installed correctly. can you tell me if the exhaust is intended to be installed such that the brake cable runs to the passenger side of the pipe? this looks to be the best way, but just wanted to be sure.

regarding the clamps - i'm not experienced with exhaust installs, so be patient - these are intended to be installed close to the end of the pipe? it seems that at most connections, the pipes insert about 2 inches into each other. i'm assuming i should insert these as far into each other as possible and then put the clamps right on the ends - or as close to the end as possible, correct? someone else mentioned the slots in the pipe ends. i don't recall these slots. i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure mine didn't have any. i bought the aluminized one (not sure if that makes a difference). i'll check again, but wanted to get your thoughts. tonight i'll move the clamps to the end and try to tighten them down again and see if that stops the movement. if not, i'll have someone put an impact wrench to it.

i understand that calling is probably better, but i think this is a great source for other readers, so the discussion here might be helpful to others as well.

thanks for helping out a newbie.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

hey thanks for the info steve. i was just about to call you guys. i adjusted the bracket that holds the e-brake cables and then also zip-tied them - but since i hadn't heard much about this, i wanted to be sure that i had the exhaust installed correctly. can you tell me if the exhaust is intended to be installed such that the brake cable runs to the passenger side of the pipe? this looks to be the best way, but just wanted to be sure.

regarding the clamps - i'm not experienced with exhaust installs, so be patient - these are intended to be installed close to the end of the pipe? it seems that at most connections, the pipes insert about 2 inches into each other. i'm assuming i should insert these as far into each other as possible and then put the clamps right on the ends - or as close to the end as possible, correct? someone else mentioned the slots in the pipe ends. i don't recall these slots. i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure mine didn't have any. i bought the aluminized one (not sure if that makes a difference). i'll check again, but wanted to get your thoughts. tonight i'll move the clamps to the end and try to tighten them down again and see if that stops the movement. if not, i'll have someone put an impact wrench to it.

i understand that calling is probably better, but i think this is a great source for other readers, so the discussion here might be helpful to others as well.

thanks for helping out a newbie.
The break line should be held down towards the rear axle and pulled towards the passenger side if possible. It really comes down to how you feel it is secured without twisting it or putting stress on it if possible.

As for the slots I am talking about...they are actually only on the stainless systems. I did not realize your system was aluminized and therefore does not have the slots It includes saddle style clamps which are stronger, but a little different than the band clamps that are included with our stainless systems. The saddle clamps should still be positioned near the outer edge of the expansion, and they need to be tightened enough until they actually bite down on the pipe. Hopefully this helps...
Old 06-01-2009, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MBRP Tech 1
The break line should be held down towards the rear axle and pulled towards the passenger side if possible. It really comes down to how you feel it is secured without twisting it or putting stress on it if possible.

As for the slots I am talking about...they are actually only on the stainless systems. I did not realize your system was aluminized and therefore does not have the slots It includes saddle style clamps which are stronger, but a little different than the band clamps that are included with our stainless systems. The saddle clamps should still be positioned near the outer edge of the expansion, and they need to be tightened enough until they actually bite down on the pipe. Hopefully this helps...
perfect. thanks for your help. i slightly bent the part that holds the driver side brake cable to shift the cable over to the passenger side and that was enough to clear the pipe. i also zip-tied it to the other cable to ensure that it wouldn't hit since there was still some play in the pipe. i'll adjust the clamps and have them tightened down and i suspect that once done the pipe will clear the cable without the zip tie.

appreciate the responses.

now get to work on that 2dr roof rack
Old 06-01-2009, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not to hijack your thread but I just received my exhaust for a 2 dr and had it on in about an hour. I like the sound, not too loud but you can tell it's there. Also I guess living in Arizona helps I was able to get the stock system off fairly easily and the new system went on very easily.
I guess a big thanks to MBRP is what I want to say.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

borrowed an impact wrench from a friend. moved the brackets to the ends and tightened it up. it's not going anywhere now. i removed the zip ties from the brake cables and have about 2-3 inches from the pipes. i'll continue to watch it, but everything looks great.

i love the sound, but bought it mostly for the relocated muffler feature - it cleans up the back and i no longer have that rusted muffler hanging on the end.

thanks mbrp and everyone else on here for the comments.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:07 AM
JK Freak

sound clip??
Old 06-02-2009, 07:19 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

perfect. thanks for your help. i slightly bent the part that holds the driver side brake cable to shift the cable over to the passenger side and that was enough to clear the pipe. i also zip-tied it to the other cable to ensure that it wouldn't hit since there was still some play in the pipe. i'll adjust the clamps and have them tightened down and i suspect that once done the pipe will clear the cable without the zip tie.

appreciate the responses.

now get to work on that 2dr roof rack
Roof rack is in the process as we speak. The wire hanger that holds the the brake lines is the easiest way to hold it out of the way. Like you stated above, simply bending it one way or another usually gives you enough clearance...

Quick Reply: Thanks MBRP