Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Thanks MBRP

Old 04-19-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atl JK
Can someone with experience with both the relocate kit and the standard catback tell me if there is a difference in "cabin" noise levels between the two. I like the idea of the relocate kit, but I don't want anything louder inside than it has to be and I'd think the standard catback would be quieter given that the muffler is at the back of the vehicle. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on it and crush it but I'll take my chances if there's going to be a significant difference in the noise levels.

I've had a couple of vehicles that had much louder exhausts than I expected and I'm trying to do my research and avoid doing this again. Especially, since my fiance hated the exhaust on the XJ I had when we started dating and if its too loud she'll start paying more attention to the mods I do to my JK and the money I've been spending on it. So far she's been looking the other way.
Don't do it. You would need a totally different muffler, this relocation kit is basically a straight through. If you feel a need to relocate, contact them and speak with Steve to see if they (MBRP) can offer up a solution to fit YOUR specific needs. It really depends on how and how much you wheel, to determine if you need either to relocate your muffler or your evap. I wheeled mine a few times before I did either. And the relo muffler is basically where the evap can is...so for hitting it..well... evaps get hit too. Just food for thought.

But..it is much louder then stock. Other mufflers are even louder though.

OK, gergi9... You can drive without the last two pieces. That piece just gives it a twist point to get the rest of the tailpipe lined up and only goes from the muffler to the final tailpipe (the part that has the bend for up-and-over the rear axle. Make sure you twist everything and get the pipes all lined up and check for interference, and that the hangers are ummm hooked.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well i am not going to try and drive it without the last 2 pieces because nothing would be holding on the muffler except for the front clamp.

I just talked to Steve @ MBRP and they are getting the right part out to me today. Hopefully it gets here quick and i can have my baby back.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Originally Posted by gergy9
Well i am not going to try and drive it without the last 2 pieces because nothing would be holding on the muffler except for the front clamp.

I just talked to Steve @ MBRP and they are getting the right part out to me today. Hopefully it gets here quick and i can have my baby back.
I just tracked your mid pipe and it is showing that it has been delivered. Hopefully when you get home from work tonight you will have something waiting for you. Let me know if you have any other questions about the install.

Steve
Old 04-22-2009, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks steve. It was home waiting for me!. I do one more question. I can't seem to get both the over-axle pipe into the hanger and exit pipe into the hanger at the same time. It only seems to fit one or the other into a hanger. Is their a trick to this?

thanks
Old 04-22-2009, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

I installed the relocated system today. It took all of 9 minutes. Getting the stock exhaust out was not as quick, though.

I had my local shop order me one yesterday and it came in today.

I love the new sound.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

Thanks steve. It was home waiting for me!. I do one more question. I can't seem to get both the over-axle pipe into the hanger and exit pipe into the hanger at the same time. It only seems to fit one or the other into a hanger. Is their a trick to this?

thanks
I just twisted the pipes until everything was aligned. No problem at all. The hanger just before the axle for me wasn't as "in" as I would like, but it works just fine.

Good luck.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tambil68
I just twisted the pipes until everything was aligned. No problem at all. The hanger just before the axle for me wasn't as "in" as I would like, but it works just fine.

Good luck.
I installed mine yesterday. I too had just slipped that hanger in and did not like that. I tried again and got it all the way into the hanger which raised the pipe higher. I believe that is the way it should be. The rubber hanger should fit in the center of the curve in the rod.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:50 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

thanks
Sometimes it takes a little bit of muscle to get both the hangers in the rubbers. If you are having a difficult time doing both at the same time, try sliding the hangers into the rubber before you connect the pipes. There should not be much push or pull play with the hangers which is what we want in order to keep the system from moving around. If you send me some pictures it is easier to know what you are talking about...

Hopefully that made sense.

Steve
Old 04-23-2009, 05:57 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Originally Posted by DGOJK
I installed mine yesterday. I too had just slipped that hanger in and did not like that. I tried again and got it all the way into the hanger which raised the pipe higher. I believe that is the way it should be. The rubber hanger should fit in the center of the curve in the rod.
You are correct. The hanger has a bend at the tip that needs to be pushed further onto the rubber. The hanger should sit with the rubber in the middle of the flat section between the bends.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

just finished (i think) installing my 2 dr relocation kit. as people have mentioned here and in other posts - removal of the stock system is a bitch - but everything else seemed to work pretty good and i am very pleased with it overall. i have a couple questions for mbrp and am going to call them in the morning, but wanted to see if i could get some answers here from other that have installed the system.

is the e-brak cable supposed to go on top of and the the driver side of the pipe, or below and towards the passenger side of the pipe? it seemed to be a toss up on which way to route it when i was lining up the pipes before tightening down, so i picked one (below and to the passenger side of the pipe). after i tightened everything down i took it for a test drive and after about a couple miles of diving i got out to check it and the pipes had "settled" and were now in contact with the cable. i've moved the cable again, but i'm pretty much out of room and it's still close to the pipe. anyone else have this issue? the instructions state to check if any wires cables need to be relocated, so i'm not suggesting it's a defect, just wondering what others have done.

also, mine seems to have quite a bit of play back wear it goes over the axle. do others have this? i'm just wondering if i have installed it properly. doesn't seem to have a stable fit for me. and honestly, the end dump seems a little crooked - so again, wondering if i've installed it properly. i played around with the line-up before i tightened it down, but where i had it seemed to be about the best positioning. i'll try to get some pictures, but was wondering if others had ideas.

Quick Reply: Thanks MBRP