Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

TF 2.5" BB vs. TF 2.5" Lift kit

Old 10-08-2009, 08:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF 2.5" BB vs. TF 2.5" Lift kit

which one would you guys go with? which one would give me more trouble as far as problems down the road?
Old 10-09-2009, 01:29 AM
JK Junkie

If you're planning on upgrading in the future, then go with the coil lift from the beginning. What I'm going to be transfering to, TF BB to TF 2.5 coil/shock combo.

You're too worried about problems with such a small lift. Don't worry, nothing's going to happen.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:31 AM
JK Freak

Go with the coil lift.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
If you're planning on upgrading in the future, then go with the coil lift from the beginning.
Suffolk, I've been asking myself this same question and I've seen people say the same thing. Drop the extra few dollars so you can upgrade later. Could you explain how the upgrade works. What would I buy a year from now after my coil lift is installed to upgrade it?
Old 10-09-2009, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default It Depends

Matt,

It really depends on a few things:
1. Are you concerned most with the look of the Jeep- the coil kit reduces the factory rake, the budget boost does not. This is due to the use of a larger coils on the front in the 2.5" coil lift.
2. Are you concerned with fuel consumption- I can assure you that these factory JK's sit in the nose dived position to be as fuel efficient as possible. I have no proof but I would venture to say that the BB might offer better gas mileage for those that do alot of driving.
3. Off road performance- outside of a stiffer ride with the coil kit, both are capable off road. You need only look at the trails and tales section and see what people are doing with these lifts.
4. Tire choice/clearance- an advantage of the coil kit is that you can still add spacers for additional lift. In either event you can do a body lift if need be.

I run the 2.5" coil kit, which I went to after a Daystar spacer lift. I also have TF quick discos and controll arms. They are a great company with solid products. Either way, you will be pleased.

Best of luck to you.

Originally Posted by mattyhfd
which one would you guys go with? which one would give me more trouble as far as problems down the road?
Old 10-09-2009, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

GO WITH THE COILS!!-the springs will settle a wee bit-but not nearly as much atrophy as the factory coils-now add a new bumper(s), winch, 35" spare, etc... your stockers will be gasping for air. any lift you would have gotten from the spacers will be gone, plus some-due to the load rating of the stock coils. as others have said as well, if you go with the TF coil kit-it will allow you to upgrade and customize, to a degree, down the road. ie, you'll have shock extenders, brake line extenders, bump stops, etc...-I've recently upgraded to "2" OME HD coils and achieved more lift than with my 2.5" TF coils, with 1" spacers on top-granted my lift is approx a year old now, so allow for some settling, but it didnt settle noticeably.good modding!

Last edited by PIPES2008; 10-09-2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:47 AM
JK Junkie

Go with the coils the ride is awesome with them and they even out the rake, plus you wont have to do anything in the future if you plan to add heavy bumpers.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coils!
Old 10-09-2009, 08:12 AM
JK Junkie

I have ran the BB for over 2 years now....have wheeled the hell out of it, and not one hiccup.....I bought one of the early TF kits...my rig has 35's heavy warn bumper with winch....has a rake to it, as I didn't care...I can stuff the 35's all day, and with my setup, (wheels) they actually dont rub.....here's a few teaser pics.....After 2.5 years....I am ready to go higher......but i have no complaints whatso ever about the BB......I encourage you to spend the little extra, and go with the coils....like the boys said, it will give you a little more clearance, and get rid of that rake.....go for it you won't be dissapointed

Old 10-09-2009, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been toying with this same question - thanks to everyone for weighing in. Looks like coils are the way to go - unless someone is wondering what to do with the extra BB they just took off (hint hint Suffolk JK)

Quick Reply: TF 2.5" BB vs. TF 2.5" Lift kit