Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

TeraFlex Rear Tire Carrier - Who else has one? Are you running after mkt bumper too?

Old 10-27-2013, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alleycat
Should I get the adjustable tire mounting kit if I'm running DuraTrac 33s or just the carrier?
Probably not mandatory for 33's but do you have heavy wheels? I used to have 33's but running on 20's and they were HEAVY!! I ran my luck with the spare tire carrier and never had any issues with it. If you step up to 35's you will have to get the mount as a 35" tire cannot clear the rear bumper...it needs to be raised.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

installed a 30-mile reserve tank.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

so, I saw these photos on JK-Adventure and got excited. trying to find out what exactly was modified to the Rotopax Universal Mounting plate to make this work. it also seems like it would further need some support to handle rough terrain and not rear right from the TF accessory mount.

going to order the 4-gal and universal plate to see what I can do. anyone seen anything else like this? ideas?
Old 11-28-2013, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rodi
so, I saw these photos on JK-Adventure and got excited. trying to find out what exactly was modified to the Rotopax Universal Mounting plate to make this work. it also seems like it would further need some support to handle rough terrain and not rear right from the TF accessory mount. going to order the 4-gal and universal plate to see what I can do. anyone seen anything else like this? ideas?
I'd like to see if the tailgate can fully open. It's already a very tight fit with the 2-gallon. If you open the gate too fast, you can crush the passenger tail light. That 4gallon plate probably adds at least another 1/8 inch. Cool idea if it works and is tough enough for the trail!
Old 11-28-2013, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

damn, that's a good point. not sure if it's even less than 1/4" (the universal plate).
Old 11-28-2013, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

looking at the photos of the plate, it can't be more than 1/4" thick (taking into account the shape, not the thickness of the steel). and I can easily fit my knuckle between the tail light and the 2-gallon.
thinking just would need some bumper at the bottom where the can sits to stop lateral movement, and then maybe a reenforcement piece of metal from the top of the new plate to the top of the acc mount.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

Question: to use my stock rim/rubicon. 32" mt tire with the teraflex hinge- do I need to use the adjustable mount or the stock mount?

And then when I upgrade to a 35" on the stock rim, which mount to use?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

I've had mine on for almost a year and have been very happy with it. No rattles and it's solid.....But I went to rotate my tires this weekend and noticed that the adjustable carrier has a crack in it. Waiting to hear back from Teraflex about it. I would definitely recommend checking your carriers regularly!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkfsu
Honestly the TF carrier is the best $$ I spent on my jeep. It holds my 35 nitto perfectly and with almost no added weight. There's no rattle from it and it is a sturdy piece of equipment and it definitely is well designed and I'm glad I bought it. I got my HD hinge for 380 shipped from groupbuy4x4 too
do you just have the hinges or did you get the carrier part as well?
Old 12-30-2013, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xj-boonie
Question: to use my stock rim/rubicon. 32" mt tire with the teraflex hinge- do I need to use the adjustable mount or the stock mount?

And then when I upgrade to a 35" on the stock rim, which mount to use?

Thanks!
if you're just using the stock rubicon wheel/ tire combo, I would say you are just fine with reusing the stock carrier. however, I would question the reasoning behind purchasing the TF Hinge part if you're still running stock set up. Have you had issues with the stock carrier with the stock wheel spare tire? I think the stock carrier is rated up to 40 or 45 lbs and if i'm not mistaken, the rubicon wheel/ tire combo doesn't exceed the weight limit of the stock spare tire carrier. perhaps you are getting a "too good to be true" deal and it makes sence to buy that part now, in effort to be better prepared when you do upgrade to 35's.

I would definitely recommend buying the rear tire carrier portion of the TF set up, once you step up to 35's. I have seen many of the stock carriers break a few months after a 35" spare wheel/ tire combo are installed. I've also seen some of the stock carriers last with the 35's on it as well. Only time will tell if they too will break like all the others. My 35's wouldn't fit on my stock carrier as the tire would come in contact with the rear bumper before the tailgate would close. So you'll also need to consider the true size of your 35" tire...I think min is like 35.8" or something odd, so I needed the relocation mount, to raise the tire up to the 37" position in order to close the tailgate.

Happy Jeepin'

Quick Reply: TeraFlex Rear Tire Carrier - Who else has one? Are you running after mkt bumper too?